Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What does the following sentence mean?
'Simplicity favors regularity'
I saw the sentence in one textbook regarding design principles.
What does the word 'favors' in this sentence mean?
Does it imply some cause and effect relationship?
If we focus on the 'regularity' we will got 'simplicity', or the other way around?
Many thanks for your advice.

J

J&K Tutoring

Was this textbook written by a native speaker of English and you read it in English, or has it been translated? There are similar statements of design principles, but 'Simplicity favors regularity' doesn't make much sense.

These kinds of statements usually have one neutral element and the other element is positive. Simplicity and regularity are both rather neutral.

Last edited:

Chance Chen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks for your response.

The sentence is from one of the best computer architecture textbooks and was written by native speakers of English:
Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface by David A. Patterson,John L. Hennessy
http://tinyurl.com/pbb3v8g

I know it means that regularity is one of the major design principles of the MIPS computer architecture.
But the sentence 'Simplicity favors regularity' doesn't make sense to me.

J

J&K Tutoring

In trying to make sense of this, I attempted to follow your link. It is in Chinese. If you want help with English, kindly provide contextual links in English.

Also, keep in mind that, just because someone is a native speaker- in any language- is doesn't necessarily follow that they can express themselves clearly.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the original make sense in the context in post#5?
Having read its context and translation, I take it to mean 'Simplicity helps bring about regularity'.

Status
Not open for further replies.