Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers.
What I wish to know is whether or not the usage of `could not' does NOT include making of suggestion in any kind of construction.
I had thought it did not until I came across a sentence, "you could also not listen to me," which appeared to me that `also' separating `could' and `not' created some space for interpreting the sentence as a suggestion.
Below I write my interpretations. Would you tell me which ones you find acceptable? Furthermore, if you think I have overlooked any other possible interpretations, please state them.
1. You will possibly also not listen to me.
2. You were also not able to listen to me.
3. You are also allowed not to listen to me.

Best wishes,
AlJapone

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers.
What I wish to know is whether or not the usage of `could not' does NOT include making of suggestion in any kind of construction.
I had thought it did not until I came across a sentence, "you could also not listen to me," which appeared to me that `also' separating `could' and `not' created some space for interpreting the sentence as a suggestion.
Below I write my interpretations. Would you tell me which ones you find acceptable? Furthermore, if you think I have overlooked any other possible interpretations, please state them.
1. You will possibly also not listen to me.
2. You were also not able to listen to me.
3. You are also allowed not to listen to me.

Best wishes,
AlJapone
The sentence could be interpreted in any of the three ways you've mentioned. It's impossible to tell which, though, without context. I'd guess that 3. is most likely, then 1, then 2.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
'You could also not listen to me'.
This is one of the beauties of the English language, and an example of its difficulties.

1.You could listen to me.
2.You could also listen to me.
3.You could not listen to me.
4.You could also not listen to me.

First of all there is 'could' which introduces the option - you may or may not listen, it is your choice.
So, taking 1. the speaker could be suggesting that you could listen - instead of lacking attention, or making a choice to do something entirely different, or as an option to what the subject had already chosen.
2. Do two things but not necessarily at the same time.
3. Choose to avoid listening to the speaker, or, accepting that circumstances prevented the subject from listening.
4. This needs the deepest understanding. You could do a number of things as well as not listen; you could do a number of things instead of listening; you could listen or not as you choose.

In speech, intonation would help understanding but in writing it should be all about the context. That is why reading as much as possible is so important.

AlJapone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, Raymott and apex2000.
After reading your posts, I have understood that could not occurs in sentences used for making suggestions. However, how about couldn't? I suspect it cannot impart any suggestive implication even with help of intonation.
If so, should we consider couldn't and could not as two different modals? Or is it just that the word "couldn't" does not allow itself to be uttered in certain ways; hence, it cannot be used in making suggestions?

Best wishes,
AlJapone

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, Raymott and apex2000.
After reading your posts, I have understood that could not occurs in sentences used for making suggestions. However, how about couldn't? I suspect it cannot impart any suggestive implication even with help of intonation.
If so, should we consider couldn't and could not as two different modals? Or is it just that the word "couldn't" does not allow itself to be uttered in certain ways; hence, it cannot be used in making suggestions?

Best wishes,
AlJapone
You're right. You can't say, "You couldn't listen to me", to mean "You don't have to listen to me. But that is only because the emphasis has to be on 'not', and 'could' is de-empasised.
"You c'd not listen to me" - that's how it would sound; or 'could' with a pause after it.
Anyhow, 'could' is the modal, not 'couldn't'. In this sentence, 'couldn't' doesn't exist, because it's 'listen' that's being negated, not 'could'. "[You could] [not listen].

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
...it's 'listen' that's being negated, not 'could'. "[You could] [not listen].
:-D:up:

• [could] listen <able to listen>
  • [could] not listen <able to not listen>
  • [couldn't] listen <unable to listen>

AlJapone

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I appreciate your kindness, everyone. Your posts completely cleared my doubts about could not.
Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
AlJapone

Status
Not open for further replies.