Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello, i'm 18 and i'm a studying English. Next week, i have an english exam and i really want to do it well. :)
I had a mock exam a few weeks ago in order to be prepared to the real exam, nevertheless, while i was revising for it i saw this sentence : " I worked for Manpower for five years."

I don't understand why it's not "I've worked" or "I'd worked" because of the "for five years".

Please can anyone help me with that ? :-o

(At some time in the past) I worked for Manpower for five years.

You would use the present perfect normally only if you were still working for Manpower. You'd use the past perfect only if you had referred to a point in time at which the five years had ended.

ps. welcome to the forum, Anaiis. :hi:

Hello, i'm 18 and i'm a studying English. Next week, i have an english exam and i really want to do it well. :)
I had a mock exam a few weeks ago in order to be prepared to the real exam, nevertheless, while i was revising for it i saw this sentence : " I worked for Manpower for five years."

I don't understand why it's not "I've worked" or "I'd worked" because of the "for five years".

Please can anyone help me with that ? :-o

Please capitalise "I", Anaiis. "I worked for Manpower for five years" means at sometime in the past I worked for Manpower for a five year period, I don't work for Manpower any more. "I've worked for Manpower for five years" means I still work for them, I started five years ago. I had worked for Manpower for five years before I did something else in the past.

Please capitalise "I", Anaiis. "I worked for Manpower for five years" means at sometime in the past I worked for Manpower for a five year period, I don't work for Manpower any more. "I've worked for Manpower for five years" means I still work for them, I started five years ago. I had worked for Manpower for five years before I did something else in the past.

Ok thank you both 5jj and bhaisahbfor your help I understand now.
Oh yes sorry for not capitilising, i'll do it from now on. ;-)

Ok thank you both 5jj and bhaisahb for your help I understand now.
Oh yes sorry for not capitalising, I'll do it from now on. ;-)

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back