Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer. I've just done a very important test, and after I checked it, I have some problems. I hope you guys would explain those to me :-D
1. His honesty is ______ . Nobody can doubt it.

+ Answer: without question => I don't think this is right, because "without question" is an adverb, right everybody?
+ I think "beyond question" is much better. Is that right?

2. I had no alternative but to stay at a small hotel during my trip to Lodon.
+ "to stay" or "staying" here is the best choice?

3. Thanks to the efforts of environmentalists, people are becoming better aware of the problems of endangered species.
Rewrite sentence
+ Answer: People owe their growing awareness of the problems of endangered species to the efforts of the environmentalists.

Unlucky me, I took the wrong choice :cry: - my choice was: "Environmentalists are doing their best to make people aware of the problems of endangered species"
But I still think my choice is much better @@ Please, explain those to me

Thank you all :-D

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer. I've just done a very important test, and after [STRIKE]I checked[/STRIKE] checking it, I have some problems. I hope you guys [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] can/will explain these to me. :-D

+ Answer: without question => I don't think this is right, because "without question" is an adverb, right everybody?
You're right. "Beyond question" is much better.

"To stay" is correct.
I had no option but to stay in a very expensive hotel.
I had no alternative but to do what he told me.
That's just the construction we use.

3. Thanks to the efforts of environmentalists, people are becoming better aware of the problems of endangered species.
Rewrite sentence
+ Answer: People owe their growing awareness of the problems of endangered species to the efforts of the environmentalists.
Unlucky me, I [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] made the wrong choice :cry: - my choice was: "Environmentalists are doing their best to make people aware of the problems of endangered species"
But I still think my choice is much better. [STRIKE]@@[/STRIKE] Please, explain those to me.
When you're rewriting a sentence, there are many ways of doing it. Both your answer and the given answer are acceptable rewrites of the original. However, the choice you went for leaves the possibility open that although environmentalists are doing their best, it might be the case that people are still not aware of the endangered species. The given answer gives both pieces of information - the environmentalists are doing their bit and people's awareness is increasing, so I agree with the given answer.

Thank you all. :-D

Welcome to the forum.

Please see my comments and amendments in red above.

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer. I've just done a very important test, and after I checked it, I have some problems. I hope you guys would explain those to me :-D

Rewrite sentence

Unlucky me, I took the wrong choice :cry: - my choice was: "Environmentalists are doing their best to make people aware of the problems of endangered species"
But I still think my choice is much better @@ Please, explain those to me

Thank you all :-D

1. I agree with you. "Beyond question" is a far better choice. "Without question" is normally an adverb.

2. I would use the infinitive "to stay", but I can't say the gerund "staying" is wrong.

3. I don't agree with your choice. It changes the meaning of the sentence. The original focuses on the growing awareness and the debt to environmentalists. Your sentence focuses on the efforts of environmentalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say 2. 'staying' is wrong. Otherwise I agree.

'd say 2. 'staying' is wrong. Otherwise I agree.

please, can you tell me why "staying" is wrong?

please, can you tell me why "staying" is wrong?
"I had no alternative but staying at a small hotel" is arguably wrong. We don't say that in Aus.
"I had no alternative staying at a small hotel" is definitely wrong.

You can say, "I had no alternative to staying at a small hotel."

I got it - thank you all ^^

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer. I've just done a very important test, and after I checked checking it, I have some problems. I hope you guys would can/will explain these to me.
icon_biggrin.gif

You're right. "Beyond question" is much better.

"To stay" is correct.
I had no option but to stay in a very expensive hotel.
I had no alternative but to do what he told me.
That's just the construction we use.

Rewrite sentence
Unlucky me, I took made the wrong choice
icon_cry.gif
- my choice was: "Environmentalists are doing their best to make people aware of the problems of endangered species"
But I still think my choice is much better. @@ Please, explain those to me.
When you're rewriting a sentence, there are many ways of doing it. Both your answer and the given answer are acceptable rewrites of the original. However, the choice you went for leaves the possibility open that although environmentalists are doing their best, it might be the case that people are still not aware of the endangered species. The given answer gives both pieces of information - the environmentalists are doing their bit and people's awareness is increasing, so I agree with the given answer.

Thank you all.
icon_biggrin.gif

thank you for answering and especially amending my words. It's really helpful to me. :-D
I hope that every post of mine will have your amendment so that my English will get better and better. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back