what does "two third" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnshoo

Member Type
Other
Dear sir or madam,
why don't use the third instead of the two third ? here is a paragraph in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:
"First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he enquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger -- "
Thank you very much!

ianhood

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
New Zealand
I am no expert on the language of Miss Austen's time (around 1800) but these expressions seem to mean "the two next, then the two after that, then the two after that...." Perhaps it was the custom to book a partner for two consecutive dances at a time? Someone versed in English Lit would probably know.

Dawnshoo

Member Type
Other
I am no expert on the language of Miss Austen's time (around 1800) but these expressions seem to mean "the two next, then the two after that, then the two after that...." Perhaps it was the custom to book a partner for two consecutive dances at a time? Someone versed in English Lit would probably know.
Thanks for your answer.Your supposition is reasonable.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear sir or madam,
why don't use the third instead of the two third ? here is a paragraph in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:
"First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he enquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger -- "
Thank you very much!

In this quote from Pride and Prejudice, the "two third" etc. refers to the third set of two English country dances. Callers would often call two dances in the same formation; the dances would be danced immediately after one another. Then there would be a break of four or five minutes before doing the next set of two more dances.

Status
Not open for further replies.