Difference between: in the back of/ at the back of/ behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

funlovingT

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi All.

I'm new to the forum:) and I was hoping another teacher would help me explain this to my student: What is the difference between
in the back of, at the back of, back of, and behind?

Thanks.

funlovingT

Member Type
English Teacher
Bump. This is either a really easy question and pointless for anyone to respond to, or a really tough one.

Help me out please :)

Any ideas? Even if you can only explain one of terms, please post. We can try to decipher this together :).

kubman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm also just starting out in this forum

Here we go then. :)

Why don't you use some contexts to illustrate the meaning and use of the expressions like:

He always prefers sitting in the back of the car (and not behind the car)
(
I don't think it is used too often in different contexts than vehicles: see below)

You can find the table of contents at the back of the book
Imagine a few rows of people one behind the other. Jack is standing at the back - you can see his head sticking out.

You can also take this opportunity to explain on the back of (if that's not too confusing after all)

There was a sticker on the back of the car which said: Follow me if you can

You have to sing you name on the back of a credit card.

These contexts should let your student get a grasp of how to use the expressions
(Except for all that you can say He was shot in the back of his head or
This thought was always there at/in the back of my mind - but it's more like a fixed phrase this one)

funlovingT

Member Type
English Teacher
I'm glad I joined :). Seems like a helpful forum.

Thanks for the explanation. I find it useful.

How about in back of? (like in front of) I never use it. I don't see the difference between it and behind. They sound the same to me. What do you think?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks. This helps a lot.

How about in back of? (like in front of) I never use it. I don't see the difference between it and behind. They sound the same to me. What do you think?
I think using "in back of" to mean 'behind' demonstrates unrefined English. Saying that may be a bit strange, since we all use "in front of" without hesitation.

But "in back of" really doesn't sound good at all to my ears. And it uses three words instead of one.

kubman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think using "in back of" to mean 'behind' demonstrates unrefined English. Saying that may be a bit strange, since we all use "in front of" without hesitation.

But "in back of" really doesn't sound good at all to my ears. And it uses three words instead of one.

I also think that that the opposite to in front of the building is behind the building not in back of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.