[Essay] ‘The media have no right to peep into the private life of public figures, such as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
...politicians or celebrities.’ Do you agree or disagree?

It is often said that the media should not interfere in popular people’s private lives. In my opinion, I do not agree with this statement because popularity comes with some conditions – one of them is that the rest of the world will be aware of the private lives of celebrities, or politicians, or any other famous figures for serious reasons.

First of all, some professional positions require publicity and need to be controlled by the media. These occupations are important for society and people who are occupied in them should be reliable and trustworthy in every aspect of their lives. The personal life of these people is a reflection of what they would do in their professional fields. For instance, politicians should possess particular moral qualities and are not free to take immoral actions. The media is the one to reveal if a politician does something which does not follow the principles of ethic, no matter if it is related to his or her private or professional life. That is why the media should have access to the personal lives of public figures, especially if they are involved in politics or other fields which require high morals and are socially engaged.

Secondly, in some cases the Media can help ordinary people tackle their problems by showing them that popular people also face obstacles in their lives. The media can be very useful source of consolation for normal people. For instance, when a popular person is inclined by the media to share an intimate story or a problem it can provoke a positive reaction among the rest of the people. They can become more prone to share their problems, related to depression or sexual harassment, for instance, without fear. This is also a consequence of the persistence of the media in chasing stories and interfering in celebrities ‘personal lives.

In conclusion, interfering in famous people’s personal lives is not always wrong. Furthermore, in some cases it is necessary and useful. For these reasons, I do not agree that the media should not involve itself in the popular people’s private lives.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
‘The media have no right to peep into the private lives of public figures, such as...

...politicians or celebrities.’ Do you agree or disagree?

It is often said that the media should not interfere in popular people’s private lives. In my opinion, I do not agree with this statement because popularity comes with some conditions. One of them is that the rest of the world will be aware of the private lives of celebrities, (delete or) politicians, or any other famous figures for serious reasons.

First of all, some professional positions require publicity and need to be covered by the media. These occupations are important for society, (use a comma for compound sentences) and people who are employed in them should be reliable and trustworthy in every aspect of their lives. The personal life of these people is a reflection of what they would do in their professional fields. For instance, politicians should possess particular moral qualities and are not free to take immoral actions. The media are the ones to reveal it when a politician does something unethical, no matter whether it is related to his or her private or professional life. That is why the media should have access to the personal lives of public figures, especially those figures (don't use pronouns unless it's clear who or what they refer to) who are involved in politics or other fields which require high morals and are socially engaged.

In American English, we say fields that require or fields requiring, not fields which require.

Secondly, in some cases the media can help ordinary people tackle their problems by showing them that popular people also face obstacles in their lives. The media can be a very useful source of consolation for ordinary people. For instance, when a popular person is inspired by the media to share an intimate story or a problem, it can provoke a positive reaction among the rest of the people. They can become more prone to share their problems, related to depression or sexual harassment, for instance, without fear. This is also a consequence of the persistence of the media in chasing stories and investigating celebrities' personal lives.

In conclusion, reporting on famous people’s personal lives is not always wrong. Furthermore, in some cases it is necessary and useful. For these reasons, I do not agree that the media should not involve itself in the popular people’s private lives.
You have a good handle on written English. Look up interfere. I don't think it's the word you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.