Already/Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highlight here for the answer : I have yet to do it. ;-)

However, many get the answer wrong because of the unusual position in the sentence and the use of the infinitve. Glad you weren't fooled. ;-)

Nearly half did. That's why examiners use it time and time again. ;-)

Chamroeun, if you look at the second post, it will tell you that 'yet' is correct. It's a trick question that is used in exams:

I have already done it.

I haven't done it yet.
I have yet to do it.
(These two sentences mean the same)
;-)

tdol said:
Chamroeun, if you look at the second post, it will tell you that 'yet' is correct. It's a trick question that is used in exams:
I have already done it.
I haven't done it yet.
I have yet to do it.
;-)

Hey, I'm still confuse. Did you mean "alreafy" cannot followed by "to" ? So it's better to use "yet" ??

Regard "already" as something that´s in the past...done
and "yet" as something that you still have to do some time...later today/tomorrow/in life....

I voted for 'yet' though I was unsure of which is correct.And at the same time 'already' didn't make any sense in this sentence at all.

Maybe, you can write as: I have done it already.

Enlighten me please. Which is correct?

1. Have you eaten yet?
2. Have you eaten already?

Do they mean the same?

Thanks!

1 I don't know whether you've eaten or not
2 I think you may have eaten, and could be surprised by this

I'm afraid it's just better luck next time. ;-)

I haven't done it yet.
I have yet to do it.
;-)
But the two sentences don't refer exactly to the same meaning, right? I mean the first one just says I haven't done a particular thing yet, but it doesn't imply if I'm going to do it in future or not. The second one implies more "but I'm going to do it, soon", right? I'm just not sure if I understand the meaning correctly :)

Last edited:
I think in both cases there is an implication either that the person will or that they should do it, but I agree that it is stronger in the second.

wow,
sometimes i get so amazed of the way you teach here, its so simple and lovely to learn from , but i have yet to study english more :-D ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back