Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

This book will explain in detail a wonder that is experienced continually, by every person on the face of the earth the wonder of human creation. It must be made clear that what is dealt with in this book is only apart of the intricacies of human creation; but even what is related in this book reveals once again the eternal power of the Creator, His limitless knowledge and intelligence that surround and embrace the whole universe.

Freed from intricacies, taught to live the easiest way.

intricacy = something intricate; the state or quality of being intricate or entangled; perplexity; involution; complication; complexity; that which is intricate or involved as, the intricacy of a knot; the intricacy of accounts; the intricacy of a cause in controversy; the intricacy of a plot

They have no idea of the body's chain of command, the sending and delivering of the messages, that the development of the body depends on these commands, and that the slightest hitch in the functioning of the system can have fatal consequences; nor do they have any control over this functioning.

It went off without a hitch.

go off without a hitch = to happen successfully without any problems

hitch (n) = an unforeseen obstacle; hinderance

The farmer hitched the cart to his besthorse to pull the heavy load.

The farmer hitched up the cart and the children went for a ride in the fields to help gather the crops.

hitch = to hook or entangle; gear up; connect to a vehicle

From his hair colour to his height, from the illness he is prone to throughout his life to every imaginable physical characteristic every human quality is preserved carefully, but in a size so small that it can be seen only by an electron microscope.

preserve = keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last

In a war anything can be expendable - money or gasoline or equipment or most usually men.

expendable = suitable to be expended

Sin was rampant, and mankind was destined to continue in sin and to reap the consequences.

The fierce lion in his kind which goes rampant after his prey.

Judah is compared not to a lion rampant, always raging but to a lion couching, enjoying the satisfaction of his success, without creating vexation to others.

rampant = unrestrained and violent

The rampant stalk is of unusual altitude.

rampant = ascending; climbing; rank in growth; exuberant

stalk = walk stiffly; a stiff or threatening gait

Inflation is rampant and industry in decline.

Famine is rampant in the land.

I was simply rampant at the delay.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

This book will explain in detail a wonder that is experienced continually, by every person on the face of the earth the wonder of human creation. It must be made clear that what is dealt with in this book is only apart of the intricacies of human creation (complexity of the process); but even what is related in this book reveals once again the eternal power of the Creator, His limitless knowledge and intelligence that surround and embrace the whole universe.

Freed from intricacies, taught to live the easiest way. The two lines are:
Freed from intricacies, I am taught to live (the intricacies of life movements)
The easiest way, nor with perplexing thoughts

intricacy = something intricate; the state or quality of being intricate or entangled; perplexity; involution; complication; complexity; that which is intricate or involved as, the intricacy of a knot; the intricacy of accounts; the intricacy of a cause in controversy; the intricacy of a plot Ok

They have no idea of the body's chain of command, the sending and delivering of the messages, that the development of the body depends on these commands, and that the slightest hitch in the functioning of the system can have fatal consequences; nor do they have any control over this functioning.

It went off without a hitch.

go off without a hitch = to happen successfully without any problems Ok
To everyone's relief, the function went off without a hitch.
hitch (n) = an unforeseen obstacle; hinderance

The farmer hitched the cart to his best horse to pull the heavy load.

The farmer hitched up the cart and the children went for a ride in the fields to help gather the crops.

hitch = to hook or entangle; gear up; connect to a vehicle
hitch up = to harness an animal(may be cart also) to a wagon, carriage, or the like.

From his hair colour to his height, from the illness to every imaginable physical characteristic, is preserved carefully, he is prone to every human quality throughout his life but in a size so small that it can be seen only by an electron microscope (The words are rearranged to make the meaning understandable)
preserve = keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last

In a war anything can be expendable - money or gasoline or equipment or most usually men.

expendable = suitable to be expended Ok

Sin was rampant, and mankind was destined to continue in sin and to reap the consequences.

The fierce lion in his kind which goes rampant after his prey. =moves so quickly, in a way that is difficult for the prey to sane itself.

Judah is compared not to a lion rampant, always raging but to a lion couching, enjoying the satisfaction of his success, without creating vexation to others.

rampant = unrestrained and violent

The rampant stalk is of unusual altitude.

rampant = ascending; climbing; rank in growth; exuberant= getting worse quickly and in an uncontrolled way (adjective)

stalk = walk stiffly; a stiff or threatening gait

Inflation is rampant and industry in decline.

Famine is rampant in the land.

I was simply rampant at the delay.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All Ok

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.