[General] shelf life/wore many hats/with an vengeance/impassable/run out/easy on the eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

By using a vacuum to remove the water from cow's milk and then adding sugar, Borden was able to create a product that had a shelf life of years.

shelf life = the length of time a material may be stored without deterioration; the length of time it remains usable.

Borden wore many hats throughout his life; as owner of a newspaper in Texas in 1836, he is credited with penning the headline, "Remember the Alamo!"

he wore many hats throughout his life = he had many positions and functions in his life

That was luck with a vengeance!

December has turned cold with a vengeance.

The rain came down with a vengeance.

with a vengeance = with great violence or energy; also, to an extreme degree

Side streets are sheets of ice and in many cases impassable.

impassable = incapable of being passed; not admitting a passage; as, an impassable road, mountain, or gulf.

Now we are told that supplies of salt are running out, so if the weather continues beyond the end of the week, forget anyone clearing even major roads.

run out = become used up or exhausted

In years gone by, snow would often mean that people were stranded at home with no contact with the outside world.

strand = leave stranded or isolated with little hope of rescue

His last girl-friend was a very famouse, eassy on the eyes model.

easy on the eyes = attractive, beautiful

They were running nip and tuck but he finally won the race in the end.

The game was nip and tuck until the last minute.

The last hurdle-race was a nip and tuck race right to the finish line.

The two salesmen fought nip and tuck for the contract all the way.

nip and tuck = evenly matched, almost even

At the end of the race the two horses were neck and neck.

For months John and Harry seemed to be neck and neck in Alice's favor.

nip and tuck = neck and neck = nearly equivalent or even

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
By using a vacuum to remove the water from cow's milk and then adding sugar, Borden was able to create a product that had a shelf life of years.

shelf life = the length of time a material may be stored without deterioration; the length of time it remains usable.
Shelf life is different from expiration date; the former relates to food quality, the latter to food safety. A product that has passed its shelf life might still be safe, but quality is no longer guaranteed
Borden wore many hats throughout his life; as owner of a newspaper in Texas in 1836, he is credited with penning the headline, "Remember the Alamo!"

he wore many hats throughout his life = he had many positions and functions in his life Ok

That was luck with a vengeance!

December has turned cold with a vengeance.

The rain came down with a vengeance.

with a vengeance = with great violence or energy; also, to an extreme degree Ok

Side streets are sheets of ice and in many cases impassable.

impassable = incapable of being passed; not admitting a passage; as, an impassable road, mountain, or gulf= impassable problems

Now we are told that supplies of salt are running out, so if the weather continues beyond the end of the week, forget anyone clearing even major roads.

run out = become used up or exhausted Ok

In years gone by, snow would often mean that people were stranded at home with no contact with the outside world.

strand = leave stranded or isolated with little hope of rescue= left in the lurch
He left me stranded by the side of the road at midnight.

His last girl-friend was a very famous, easy on the eyes model.

easy on the eyes = attractive, beautiful

They were running nip and tuck but he finally won the race in the end.

The game was nip and tuck until the last minute.

The last hurdle-race was a nip and tuck race right to the finish line.

The two salesmen fought nip and tuck for the contract all the way.

nip and tuck = evenly matched, almost even Ok

At the end of the race the two horses were neck and neck.

For months John and Harry seemed to be neck and neck in Alice's favor.

nip and tuck = neck and neck = nearly equivalent or even, we use this expression in sports as well as in competitions

If you were watching a TV talent show and voting for your favorite singer, and asked who would be the likely winner?
Answer: Difficult, they are neck and neck

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All are fine.

Reactions: vil

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nicely done, vil!

How is the Bulgarian winter treating you? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Amigo

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Amigo,

Thank you for your kindness.

[FONT=&quot]Thank you also for your anxiety about my safety. As a matter of fact, the title of the burning, terrifying article “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Europe shivers under sub-zero temperatures[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” has nothing to do with us, the blue-eyes boys of Most High. You shouldn’t forget that the biblical “The Garden of Eden” as well the haven of “Noah’s Ark” were in this spot of the world. Affected are the residents of England, Ireland, German, France, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Italy. [/FONT]

On the other hand I am ready to show a bold front to the freezing winter. My home has a threefold isolation and is furnished with an effective local heating with solid fuel as well as with seven powerful air-conditioners Mitsubishi, a Finish steam bath and a jacuzzi.

By the same token I have a rich stock of selected Bulgarian wines.

I wish you the new 2010 to be very happy and prosperous for you my old friend.

Regards,

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.