Member Type
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
China
Hi there::up:
could you explain why tense, aspect and mood are often categrized as one unit under discussion in some grammar book? are they have sth in common? why not include modality of verbs?
thank you very much;-)

jirikoo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi there::up:
could you explain why tense, aspect and mood are often categrized as one unit under discussion in some grammar book? are they have sth in common? why not include modality of verbs?
thank you very much;-)

the answer may be pretty exhaustive but not from me. i study linguistics in depth but this part of syntax and its conjugation is one my biggest weaknesses. What i can say is that they surely relate to one another.

all of these have something to with verbs.

tenses express the time something occurs in terms of lexical and morphological change of the finite verb

aspects closely relate to and specify under what circumstances we use particular tenses and

mood relate to the finite verb as well, specifying the speaker's mood

However the function and classification overlap, they are still separable units of grammatical inflection (or conjugation)

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
why not include modality of verbs?
Do you mean why modal verbs are not included in the manner we express grammatical moods? Inflection speaks or helping verb speaks. With moods, mostly verb form speaks. Putative 'should'?

mood relate to the finite verb
Verbs in subjunctive and imperative are non-finite.

Status
Not open for further replies.