Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As we promised you that we would give you special privileges as you are entitled for those because you are PURE card holder

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't really figure out this sentence.

You are entitled to special privileges as a PURE card holder.

Do you need to say anything else?

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I can't really figure out this sentence.

Do you need to say anything else?

Ya you are write..What about the following sentence

As we promised you that we would give you special privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As we promised you that we would give you special privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder

The card holders will drown in "you"s.

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The card holders will drown in "you"s.

Thats right observation
what about the following:

As we promised we would give youspecial privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder
or
As we promisedwe would give special privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As we promised;

You should really get rid of that "we would give you"

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thats right observation
what about the following:

As we promised we would give youspecial privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder
or
As we promisedwe would give special privileges because you are entitled for those as you are a PURE card holder

What about:
"As we promised, we will give you the special priviledges to which you are entitled as a PURE card holder".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't disagree with Bhai's sentence at all - it's perfect. But really ask yourself: What do I gain my making my sentence so much more complex? What extra information is given by including all those extra words? I've made my reader work a lot harder to read that sentence, and what does he or she gain as a result?

Omit needless words.

Isn't that better than "Omit the needless words that are not necessary to the conveyance of your meaning"?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
As we promised you that we would give you special privileges as you are entitled for those because you are PURE card holder

I suggest you change "for those" to "to them." "Entitled" is normally followed by "to" and an accusative -- in this case, "them."

Having said that, the clearest way to say this is the formulation given by bhaisahab (as usual!)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I don't disagree with Bhai's sentence at all - it's perfect. But really ask yourself: What do I gain my making my sentence so much more complex? What extra information is given by including all those extra words? I've made my reader work a lot harder to read that sentence, and what does he or she gain as a result?

Omit needless words.

Isn't that better than "Omit the needless words that are not necessary to the conveyance of your meaning"?

The thing is Barb that the middle class Indian public, the people at whom this copy is aimed, love flowery complicated language. They expect to see it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Business writing skills in our two countries are not mutually transferable, then. I will refrain from comment on any further writing for that market.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ya you are write..What about the following sentence

If you're using "As" to mean "Because" (which you seem to be implying by using 'that'), the sentence is incomplete.
You'd need something like:
As [because] we promised you that we'd give you special privileges because you're entitled to them as a PURE card holder, we will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.