Adding the suffix -ing to words like market

Status
Not open for further replies.

lem79

Member Type
Other
Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'll probably only visit this once. I'm trying to find out why marketing isn't spelled "marketting".

All of the rules I've found for adding -ing say to double the consonant. But every word ending in -ket doesn't seem to adhere to this rule (e.g. bucketing, marketing).

Does anyone have any references to explain why? What is the rule and/or exception to the rule?

Thanks,

Lem

gabber

Member Type
English Teacher
Len79,
A single consonant at the end of the infinitive form of the verb is doubled before -ed and -ing if the vowel just before that final consonant is spelled with a single letter and is stressed.
Thus, "cut," "cutting" ; "abet," "abetting." The final "t" of "market" and "bucket" is not doubled because the letter "e" before that word-final "t" is not stressed.
//Brits sometimes ignore this rule before -l, -m, and -p:
travelling; programmed; worshipped.//

lem79

Member Type
Other
Thanks for the response Gabber.

When you say:

//Brits sometimes ignore this rule before -l, -m, and -p:
travelling; programmed; worshipped./

Do you mean that the correct way to spell those words is without the doubled consonant?

The other rule that confuses me in this scenario is the vowel-consonant-vowel pattern in which the second vowel causes the first vowel to produce a long sound. With that rule, "marketing" pronounces as "markeeting". Does this rule not apply when adding the -ing suffix?

Status
Not open for further replies.