• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 5,830
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Which sentence is most correct???

Who would have guessed that (his or him) teasing my hair would make such a difference?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Either sentence is grammatically correct.

The emphasis would differ, but only slightly.

If you mean to emphasize that the teasing made a difference ( as opposed to some other action with your hair), then use "his."

If you mean to emphasize that the person doing the teasing made a difference, use "him."

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Although many speakers would no doubt rate both as, to some degree or other, 'acceptable', I would slightly disagree with Dave that both can be called "correct".

The use of an objective-case pronoun here is, at best, for informal use only, since removal of what then ought to be a mere optional participial (teasing my hair) would yield a non-sentence

*Who would have guessed that him would make such a difference?

The only fully "correct" form for the pronoun here is in fact the possessive case, irrespective of our 'focus' on the person vs. the action:

Who would have guessed that his teasing my hair would make such a difference?

, the -ing phrase thereby becoming a gerund and standing as the true - and, of course, obligatory - subject of the subordinate clause.

Moreover, while conceding that the use of objective-case pronouns as a substitute for the possessive in such constructions is extremely widespread in daily speech, I would reject the argument that some genuine semantic distinction in terms of emphasis/focus is thereby achieved.

can be distinguished just as well by vocal tone from

as by any dubious morphological change!

Status
Not open for further replies.