Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The marking is to be done in indelible ink on tree sides: on the cover, on the front side ansd on the left side of the cases.

indelible = that can not be removed, washed away, blotted out, or effaced; incapable of being canceled, lost, or forgotten; as in, indelible characters; “an indelible stain”; “an indelible impression on the memory

If the goods are not ready for dhipment by the date of arrival of the vessel, the Sellers are to compensate the Buyers for the losses they may sustain in connection with the underloading of the ship.

underloading = dead freight; situation in which a machine or plant is run at less than full capacity, usually to accommodate process time or production rate variances, or to insure its reliability

Nothing in this letter is to be taken as confirmation of the credit, which is revocable and therefore subject to cancellation at any time without notice.

revocable = capable of being revoked or annulled

Instead of admitting his guilt, he prevaricated. http://dic.academic.ru/dic.nsf/eng_rus/38277/вместо

prevaricate = to evade by a quibble; to transgress; to pervert

If you're satisfied with the contract, why are you quibbling about the exact hours of work?

guibble = equivocate, split hairs

Quibbles have no place in the search after truth.

quibble = a shift or turn from the point in question; a trifling or evasive distinction; an evasion

Forcing everyone to vote for the dictator perverts the very idea of democracy.

pervert = to become perverted; to take the wrong course; misinterpret; misconstrue

He has perverted the meaning of my article.

The symmetry was perverted.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The marking is to be done in indelible ink on tree sides: on the cover, on the front side and on the left side of the cases.

indelible = that can not be removed, washed away, blotted out, or effaced; incapable of being canceled, lost, or forgotten; as in, indelible characters; “an indelible stain”; “an indelible impression on the memory
In India indelible ink is applied to the forefinger of voters during elections in order to prevent electoral fraud such as double voting.
If the goods are not ready for shipment by the date of arrival of the vessel, the Sellers are to compensate the Buyers for the losses they may sustain in connection with the underloading of the ship.

underloading = dead freight; situation in which a machine or plant is run at less than full capacity, usually to accommodate process time or production rate variances, or to insure its reliability

Nothing in this letter is to be taken as confirmation of the credit, which is revocable and therefore subject to cancellation at any time without notice.

revocable = capable of being revoked or annulled
In business nobody accepts a revocable credit, it is always irrevocable.
Instead of admitting his guilt, he prevaricated.

prevaricate = to evade by a quibble; to transgress; to pervert= to speak misleadingly, deliberately misstate or create an incorrect impression

If you're satisfied with the contract, why are you quibbling about the exact hours of work?

guibble = equivocate, split hairs
So what's the point in quibbling about the exact number of Jews that were killed by Hitler?
Quibbles have no place in the search after truth.

quibble = a shift or turn from the point in question; a trifling or evasive distinction; an evasion= irrelevant language or arguments to evade a point at issue.

Forcing everyone to vote for the dictator perverts the very idea of democracy.

pervert = to become perverted; to take the wrong course; misinterpret; misconstrue

He has perverted the meaning of my article.

The symmetry was perverted.
A sex offender is basically a pervert.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All seem fine.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.