[Grammar] Which books to use for this purpose?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,799
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi all.

I am a non-native english learner. I will say that my english is average. I want to improve. I need some good english grammar books. These books must have detailed english grammar. Can anyone suggests some good books for following purposes:

A) Basic English Grammar. (Explains syntax. Some exercises.)

B) A very detailed and advance english grammar book. (Which explains everything in great details. I dont have any problem in spending time for learning. Book can have 1000-2000 pages (the more the better)). I need some book which I can trust; that it has complete english grammar (ideally 'complete grammar' cannot exist in one book, but I need something which is very vast and covers most of the topic in great details).

Please help.
-- KK

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
I'm sure that the following books are going to satisfy your requirements

1- Most native speakers claim that it is the best grammar book ever
comprehensive-grammar-of-the-english-language.jpg

practical_english_usage.jpg

9780521581660.jpg

Oxford_Guide_to_English_Gramma.pdf

CobuildGrammar-ms.jpg

Longman-English-Grammar.jpg

The-Teachers-Grammar-of-English.jpg

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't like Quirk (1). I'm sorry I paid so much for it. I can't even find the definition of a 'clause' in it. It's very hard to use as a reference book, and I really can't get into it. If I had my money back, I'd buy the Cambridge Grammar.

I also have 4. the Oxford and 5. the Collins Cobuild, which are good basic books.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't like Quirk (1). I'm sorry I paid so much for it. I can't even find the definition of a 'clause' in it. It's very hard to use as a reference book, and I really can't get into it. If I had my money back, I'd buy the Cambridge Grammar.

I also have 4. the Oxford and 5. the Collins Cobuild, which are good basic books.
I agree with your opinion about Professor Quirk's book. Especially after I read that he had criticized our beloved master, Mr. Henry Fowler!!!

xpert

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Malaysia
Oops! I forgot to add this fantastic book

1000890856.jpg

Status