Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
At the end of a conversation a man says: "I am up to see you", what does he want to say?

Thanks a lot.

H

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
At the end of a conversation a man says: "I am up to see you", what does he want to say?

Thanks a lot.

H

He is on the roof so that he can see his interlocutor. :-D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Are you serious?

What do you suspect? :) It is a possible, although not the default, interpretation of the OPs sentence.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks a lot.

H

This doesn't make sense at the end of a conversation.

I'm up for a visit = I'm visiting in this place so I can visit with [someone]. You might hear this as "Yeah, I'm up to see my mom, help her with a few things around the house, etc."

There is also "I'm up for a visit" meaning "I feel well enough to have a visitor." [Perhaps the person has been home sick in bed for a while.]

It doesn't make sense to me to say "I am up to see you" at the end of a conversation.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This doesn't make sense at the end of a conversation.

I'm up for a visit = I'm visiting in this place so I can visit with [someone]. You might hear this as "Yeah, I'm up to see my mom, help her with a few things around the house, etc."

There is also "I'm up for a visit" meaning "I feel well enough to have a visitor." [Perhaps the person has been home sick in bed for a while.]

It doesn't make sense to me to say "I am up to see you" at the end of a conversation.

I heard the person said that sentence twice, one time to another person and one time to myself. I coundn't figure out what he wanted to say. Maybe he meant to say that he wanted to see us again?

Thanks for your help.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps he was inviting you to visit him. Had he been ill or something like that? Or really busy? And now he's saying "This is a good time to come visit me." Maybe.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Perhaps he was inviting you to visit him. Had he been ill or something like that? Or really busy? And now he's saying "This is a good time to come visit me." Maybe.

No, he hadn't. He was a guess of our department so we had had several discussions about our businesses. This was the first time I met him thus maybe it wasn't an invitation for a visit.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then he must simply mean that he has traveled (He is up) to visit you in person.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Then he must simply mean that he has traveled (He is up) to visit you in person.

What does "to visit someone in person" mean? Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When someone talks to you in person, he or she is standing in front of you. (Or sitting, but their body is physically present.)

Let's talk on the phone. Let's chat via Skype. Let's talk in person. In the last one, I am with you in the same room.

Status
Not open for further replies.