Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello to every one

I have question about a person who is graduated of University and he got the best marks and he is the first one of the top ten students

what shall we call him?

Is there any terms for that situation

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure, you can say he graduated first in his class or at the top of his class.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
top student, creme de la creme

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dux - although it might not be as well-known as I thought before checking below:

Wikipedia:
Education

• In schools in Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Iceland, Dux is a modern title given to the top student in academic and sporting achievement (Dux Litterarum and Dux Ludorum respectively) in each graduating year. In this usage, Dux is similar to the American concept of a valedictorian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dux

The Majesty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Sure, you can say he graduated first in his class or at the top of his class.

well, I thank your commant

but I still believe there is a good word use at university for those students

warm regards

The Majesty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Dux - although it might not be as well-known as I thought before checking below:

Wikipedia:
Education

• In schools in Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Iceland, Dux is a modern title given to the top student in academic and sporting achievement (Dux Litterarum and Dux Ludorum respectively) in each graduating year. In this usage, Dux is similar to the American concept of a valedictorian.
Dux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you so much for your commants and explain

Warm regards

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The single word is "validictorian" but I personally associate that much more strongly with high school than university. I've never heard the "Dux" term but I like it and wish we had it here.

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

Wikipedia:
Education

The Majesty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The single word is "validictorian" but I personally associate that much more strongly with high school than university. I've never heard the "Dux" term but I like it and wish we had it here.

Thank u so much again

and Iam looking forward add you as friend

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand

Wikipedia:
Education

I have NEVER heard of any public high school in NZ awarding a Dux Ludorum. I'm not saying none do, just that they must be VERY uncommon. The "Dux" was always the ultimate nerd prize, and was only ever associated with academic excellence. Several schools also award the proxime accessit for the runner-up to the Dux. Thanks for the education, Raymott, I'd no idea that there was a sporting Dux.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have NEVER heard of any public high school in NZ awarding a Dux Ludorum. I'm not saying none do, just that they must be VERY uncommon. The "Dux" was always the ultimate nerd prize, and was only ever associated with academic excellence. Several schools also award the proxime accessit for the runner-up to the Dux. Thanks for the education, Raymott, I'd no idea that there was a sporting Dux.
Hey! Ultimate nerd prize? :-o I was Dux of my High School (not hard in a country school). Of course, once I got to Medical School, duxhood became an unattainable goal, somewhere up in the stratosphere.

Maybe someone should correct Wikipedia. I'm also wondering whether by "Iceland" they really mean "Ireland". I don't recall any Dux Ludora in Australia either.

Status
Not open for further replies.