[Grammar] grmmar explanation to esl student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudburygirl

Member Type
Student or Learner
How do I explain why this is sentence wrong to an esl student?
'She is liking science fiction'

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Certain verbs (stative verbs), in general, may not use the present continuous/progressive verb form. The verb "to like" is one of those verbs. So, those verbs default to the simple present form and your example should read, "She likes science fiction". Google "stative verbs" to get a complete list .

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have heard people say, 'I am loving it'. Is it wrong? After all, 'like' and 'love' are pretty close.

not a teacher

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have heard people say, 'I am loving it'. Is it wrong? After all, 'like' and 'love' are pretty close.

not a teacher

There is a fine line between I love it and I'm loving it.
When you say "I'm loving it" it means you are enjoying it.

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
Certain verbs (stative verbs), in general, may not use the present continuous/progressive verb form. The verb "to like" is one of those verbs. So, those verbs default to the simple present form and your example should read, "She likes science fiction". Google "stative verbs" to get a complete list .
Can we use the continuous form in these sentences if the situation is temporary?

A: How are you getting on with your new job?
B: I'm not liking it at all.

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can we use the continuous form in these sentences if the situation is temporary?

A: How are you getting on with your new job?
B: I'm not liking it at all.

Thank you
No, you would have to say: "I don't like it at all".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To Tedmc: "I'm loving it" is OK but only at McDonald's (one of their recent slogans). But seriously, "to love" is another of the stative verbs. Unfortunately, correct grammar suffers when popular usage rules.

To Donno: Reference note above and in your example the correct form should be "I don't like it at all".

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
No, you would have to say: "I don't like it at all".
Thanks for the reply

If I wrote it like this one, is it correct?

Well, at the moment, I am not liking it at all.

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for the reply

If I wrote it like this one, is it correct?

Well, at the moment, I am not liking it at all.

Thank you
No, it's not, as has been explained by another poster "like" is a stative verb, it cannot be used like that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How do I explain why this is sentence wrong to an esl student?
'She is liking science fiction'

Other than simply explaining that "to like" can't really be used in the present continuous, and she'll just have to remember that?! :-D

Sudburygirl

Member Type
Student or Learner
how about this one....I'm thinking English is difficult.
what is the explanation of why its incorrect?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
how about this one....I'm thinking English is difficult.
what is the explanation of why its incorrect?

The main explanation that I would use would be that "I'm thinking" is perfectly fine in the present continuous, as long as it's followed by "about/of......"

I'm thinking about going on holiday.
I'm thinking about you.
I'm thinking of buying a new car.

Your student will be able to understand that s/he can't say "I'm thinking about English is difficult" therefore it must be "I think English is difficult".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Forgive me for disagreeing with everyone who has posted before, but common usage IS grammar. It's an evolutionary process, yes, and many usage experts don't yet accept some of these continuous forms, but I have no trouble with many of these stative verbs being used in the continuous in the right context. (That awful McDonald's slogan is not one of them. :-( )

That context that works for me is when the speaker recognizes the temporary nature of the state.

I like your drawing that is in progress now, but based on your concept sketch I'm not sure if I will later: I'm liking what I'm seeing. Let's see how it goes.

I don't like it now, but I hope it will improve: How am I getting along in my new job? Well, I'm not liking it at all, but I have faith it will be better.

Your daughter is having fun right now, but knows her trip is about to end: She is loving Paris, and dreading returning home.

You are not always a jerk, but you are acting like one right now: You are being a jerk!

Donno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
UK
Forgive me for disagreeing with everyone who has posted before, but common usage IS grammar. It's an evolutionary process, yes, and many usage experts don't yet accept some of these continuous forms, but I have no trouble with many of these stative verbs being used in the continuous in the right context. (That awful McDonald's slogan is not one of them. :-( )

That context that works for me is when the speaker recognizes the temporary nature of the state.

I like your drawing that is in progress now, but based on your concept sketch I'm not sure if I will later: I'm liking what I'm seeing. Let's see how it goes.

I don't like it now, but I hope it will improve: How am I getting along in my new job? Well, I'm not liking it at all, but I have faith it will be better.

Your daughter is having fun right now, but knows her trip is about to end: She is loving Paris, and dreading returning home.

You are not always a jerk, but you are acting like one right now: You are being a jerk!
How about this one

Betty is with us at the moment. The kids are loving having her here.

Thank you

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about this one

Betty is with us at the moment. The kids are loving having her here.

Thank you
Marginal; I wouldn't say it. But I agree with Barb. All stative verbs can be used in the continuous tense in the right context. The suggestion that "I'm not liking it at all" is wrong is an assertion based on older British sensitivities, but not on current usage.

You're being naughty!
She's seeming a little depressed today.
He's having a good time.
I'm thinking of getting a motorbike.

I can't think of a stative verb that can't be used in this way, at least occasionally. For learners, it's still a good idea to avoid it until you know what you're doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.