skyrocketed/have skyrocketed ... since ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Ten years after Dr Goh's departure, Lee substantially raised cabinet salaries by pegging them to the top private sector here. These salaries skyrocketed/have skyrocketed further since 1994. Some observers believe that it was unlikely Dr Goh, with his reputation for thrift, would have gone along with such a scheme.

I believe it should be 'should have skyrocketed'.

Could some member/s please let me know which verb should be used?

Thanks in advance.

Ten years after Dr Goh's departure, Lee substantially raised cabinet salaries by pegging them to the top private sector here. These salaries skyrocketed/have skyrocketed further since 1994. Some observers believe that it was unlikely Dr Goh, with his reputation for thrift, would have gone along with such a scheme.

I believe it should be 'should have skyrocketed'.

Could some member/s please let me know which verb should be used?

Thanks in advance.

"Should have skyrocketed" would mean that the writer thought that it would have been more appropriate if the salaries had skyrocketed, but that they didn't.

I read the article to mean that in 1994, salaries were increased substantially and they have continued to rise at a fast rate since 1994. In the writer's opinion, if Dr Goh had been in charge, this would not have happened because he was known for not spending money.

*Edit - I later realised I didn't give my opinion on the correct answer. "Have skyrocketed" is correct.

Last edited:
"Should have skyrocketed" would mean that the writer thought that it would have been more appropriate if the salaries had skyrocketed, but that they didn't.

I read the article to mean that in 1994, salaries were increased substantially and they have continued to rise at a fast rate since 1994. In the writer's opinion, if Dr Goh had been in charge, this would not have happened because he was known for not spending money.

This is a criticism against substantial increase in salaries of cabinet member which is not justified.So 'have skyrocketed' is appropriate here.

The substantial increase in salaries of the cabinet members to level with that of top brass of the private sector, after Dr. Goh, was a bad move (not justified). The fact that these salaries keep on increasing and have skyrocketed further since 1994 has become a debatable point and the writer feels that this situation would not have arisen with Dr. Goh in power.

May I have the view of other members, please, as Emsr2d2 says it should be 'skyrocketed', while Sarat says 'have skyrocketed' is the correct verb?

Thanks in advance.

May I have the view of other members, please, as Emsr2d2 says it should be 'skyrocketed', while Sarat says 'have skyrocketed' is the correct verb?

Thanks in advance.
That's not what emsr2d2 said. The correct form is "have skyrocketed".

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, yes, I should have a simple clear answer in my post. In my opinion, "have skyrocketed" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back