Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Over the top's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 386
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    correct exam papers

    Hello
    what is the verb that is used by teachers to mean they 'correct' exam papers,
    I am not sure about correct? I don't think a teacher will correct every wrong answer rather they only give marks..ok I hope my question is clear.

    Thank you

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,344
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: correct exam papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Over the top View Post
    Hello
    what is the verb that is used by teachers to mean they 'correct' exam papers,
    I am not sure about correct? I don't think a teacher will correct every wrong answer rather they only give marks..ok I hope my question is clear.

    Thank you
    "To mark". In this case "mark" doesn't refer to the final mark/grade. It is simply the process of going through the papers and checking each answer, although of course they will probably also give the final score/mark/grade.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 52,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: correct exam papers

    You can also use 'grade' as a verb for this.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,344
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: correct exam papers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You can also use 'grade' as a verb for this.
    Out of curiosity, TDol, would you still say "grade" if one teacher is simply responsible for going through all the answers and marking them right or wrong, but then the papers go to another teacher who actually allocates a grade to the paper/student? Would both teachers be said to be "grading" the paper? Or would one "mark" them and the other "grade"?

    I only ask because at my old school, that was what they did!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 52,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: correct exam papers

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, TDol, would you still say "grade" if one teacher is simply responsible for going through all the answers and marking them right or wrong, but then the papers go to another teacher who actually allocates a grade to the paper/student? Would both teachers be said to be "grading" the paper? Or would one "mark" them and the other "grade"?

    I only ask because at my old school, that was what they did!
    The first would mark and the second would grade IMO.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] put up my papers
    By anupumh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Aug-2009, 20:44
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2009, 22:09
  3. help me to correct my exam plz
    By mido_55_60 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2008, 21:19
  4. papers series
    By segu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2007, 14:35
  5. Mark the papers please!
    By Fame in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Apr-2006, 06:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •