When do say Chop , Cut and Snip

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotspicy

Member Type
Student or Learner
When do say Chop , Cut and Snip
eg Cut this vegetable or Chop this vegetable( I mean into small pieces)

2) Please snip off this packet.(I am just cut the edage of the packet..so can i use the word snip).

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To "chop" requires a major physical motion that originates at the elbow. Think of someone using a cleaver to cut up carrots or other vegetables. "Cut" refers to a lesser physical motion - it originates the wrist and refers to a motion made with a knife or razor blade or similar sharp device (even the edge of a sheet of paper). "Snip" is a small cut; for example, if you want to open a sealed package of drink mix, you'd "snip" the corner.

However, in your example the phrasing isn't quite right - we wouldn't say "snip off the packet." It would be more common to say "Can you please snip this open for me?"

hotspicy

Member Type
Student or Learner
To "chop" requires a major physical motion that originates at the elbow. Think of someone using a cleaver to cut up carrots or other vegetables. "Cut" refers to a lesser physical motion - it originates the wrist and refers to a motion made with a knife or razor blade or similar sharp device (even the edge of a sheet of paper). "Snip" is a small cut; for example, if you want to open a sealed package of drink mix, you'd "snip" the corner.

However, in your example the phrasing isn't quite right - we wouldn't say "snip off the packet." It would be more common to say "Can you please snip this open for me?"
So can I say,Please chop the chicken..we use more force to chop chicken or Please cut the chicken is better
2) Can i just say Please snip this packet or it has to be Please snip this open

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can chop chicken, dice it (=cut it into cubes), cut it into pieces ... I don't think you'd snip it though.

As to 2, we'd (Br.Eng) say 'snip this open', not just 'snip it'.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Personally, what I would do to vegetables would really depend on what I want the final outcome (size, shape, etc) to be, not whether or not I was moving my arm from the elbow.

Slice a carrot = result is small whole discs of carrot
Dice an onion = result is small squares of onion
Chop a potato = result is medium-sized blocks of potato

However, if I wasn't specifying the different vegetables, I would simply say to someone "I'm just going to chop the vegetables for dinner".

Status
Not open for further replies.