Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hello,

good morning!

i had boarded the wrong bus first and then got down at salt lake and boarded the right one ---- ARE THE SENTENCE AND THE USAGE OF 'HAD' CORRECT?

can you please tell me the correct usage of "HAD"? it is quite confusing for me.

thanks and regards,

rita

zainab shah

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Pakistan
hello,

good morning!

i had boarded the wrong bus first and then got down at salt lake and boarded the right one ---- ARE THE SENTENCE AND THE USAGE OF 'HAD' CORRECT?

can you please tell me the correct usage of "HAD"? it is quite confusing for me.

thanks and regards,

rita
You should check out this link,
ENGLISH PAGE - Past Perfect
Best of luck:up:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: usage of had: past perfect

hello,

good morning!

thanks and regards,

rita
You only use the past perfect tense if you need to. You don't automatically use it when you narrate two things that happened in the past.

"I boarded the wrong bus first and then got down at Salt Lake and boarded the right one."
There is no problem understanding the time-line of the events, so you use the simple past. "I did A first, and then I did B. After that I went to C, bought some D and ate some E."
If you use time adverbs like this, you usually don't need the past perfect.

You can use the past perfect like this:
"I got off the bus at Salt Lake and boarded a different one, because I realised that I had boarded the wrong bus back in Denver."
"Because I had boarded the wrong bus in Denver, I had to get off at Salt Lake and find the right one."
Note that there are no time adverbs in these sentences. The past perfect here clarifies i) the time sequence, and ii) the reason for getting off the bus.

Often, you use the past perfect like this when the two clauses have some relatedness to each other that you want to point out. ("Because I had done A, I had to do B".)
While that is implicit in your original sentence, you don't emphasise the relatedness with "because, since..." etc.

rita_b

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
preposition

hi,

i would like to invite you to lunch

OR

i would like to invite you for lunch

which one is more appropriate?

regards,

rita

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: preposition

hi,

I would like to invite you to lunch.

OR

I would like to invite you for lunch.

Which one is more appropriate?

regards,

rita
They are both OK.

Remember to use punctuation. Also, if you want to ask a new unrelated question, it's best to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.