Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Hi all!

In "Friends", season 1 episode 6 "The One With the Butt" Joey read a note from agent

Joey: Look-look it’s a note on the back! (reads it) “Loved your work, call me a sap.” (which is actually supposed to read ASAP: As Soon As Possible) She was obviously very moved.

ASAP means "As Soon As Possible", this is pretty clear. But it's a joke, and so it might be some other meaning of the word "sap" here. I think it's some like "sentimental", but I didn't find such meaning in dictionaries, can anyone help?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi all!

In "Friends", season 1 episode 6 "The One With the Butt" Joey read a note from agent

Joey: Look-look it’s a note on the back! (reads it) “Loved your work, call me a sap.” (which is actually supposed to read ASAP: As Soon As Possible) She was obviously very moved.

ASAP means "As Soon As Possible", this is pretty clear. But it's a joke, and so it might be some other meaning of the word "sap" here. I think it's some like "sentimental", but I didn't find such meaning in dictionaries, can anyone help?
Definitions 2 and 6 below sound about right. (And perhaps 1. but that would be a more recent derivation, I think.)
Urban Dictionary: sap

DRThomas

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
RiTm, I hope you understood that "Call me a sap" is a common expression. As the Urban Dictionary indicates, it is NOT related to "As Soon As Possible" (ASAP). It could mean, "Call me a fool", "Call me sentimental", etc. Context is very important.

RiTm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks all.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
RiTm, I hope you understood that "Call me a sap" is a common expression. As the Urban Dictionary indicates, it is NOT related to "As Soon As Possible" (ASAP). It could mean, "Call me a fool", "Call me sentimental", etc. Context is very important.

What If you expect someone to be swift to answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.