Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Someone thinks she is a driver, but really,(in fact) she is a passenger. Which one is correct ?
My question is about using of really and in fact, but please correct my sentence if necessary.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Someone thinks she is a driver, but really,(in fact) she is a passenger. Which one is correct ?
My question is about using of really and in fact, but please correct my sentence if necessary.

I'd use in fact, but really is possible; both expressions could also be placed after she is.

I have to say that the situation sounds very weird to me. I cannot imagine a passenger thinking she is a driver.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I'd use in fact, but really is possible; both expressions could also be placed after she is.

I have to say that the situation sounds very weird to me. I cannot imagine a passenger thinking she is a driver.

My English was not clear. May I say in another way. I though Miss J. was the driver of that car, but in fact she was a passenger.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I thought Miss J. was the driver of that car, but in fact she was a passenger.

As fivejedjon already said, now it is correct.
But I would like to add the following:

i) If there were more than one passenger in the car, you could also say in fact she was one of the passengers.
ii) If, besides the driver, there was only one passenger in the car you could say in fact she was the passenger.
iii) In the original sentence, if you changed the indefinite article 'a' to the define one 'the' all this confusion would be avoided (but we would miss an important opportunity to discuss English). I mean probably the sentence 'Someone thinks she is the driver, but in fact she is a passenger' would look less weird to fivejedjon's eyes (and to mine as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.