[Grammar] CNN - On last week's? "On" is required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi All,

In the following news from CNN International, is it correct to use "On last week's"? In English Grammar, last,next,this shouldn't have preposition, but how come they use the preposition "On" for last week's, please explain, thanks.

EngFan

CNN International
On last week’s edition of Q&A Richard Quest & Ali Velshi debated information leaks and the possibility of a corporate documents release by WikiLeaks. What should they debate this week? Post your suggestions here. Topics must be of global interest.

Last edited:

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

In the following news from CNN International, is it correct to use "On last week's"? In English Grammar, last,next,this shouldn't have preposition, but how come they use the preposition "On" for last week's, please explain, thanks.

EngFan

CNN International

On last week’s edition of Q&A, Richard Quest & Ali Velshi debated information leaks and the possibility of a corporate documents release by WikiLeaks. What should they debate this week? Post your suggestions here. Topics must be of global interest.

They expressed it just fine, EngFan. They are referring to what was discussed last week. The prepositional phrase is "On last week's edition of Q & A,". Last is an adjective describing week's. Make sense now?

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
They expressed it just fine, EngFan. They are referring to what was discussed last week. The prepositional phrase is "On last week's edition of Q & A,". Last is an adjective describing week's. Make sense now?

Thank you very much for your reply jerry081958. I wanted to know if the sentence changed to "On last week, he debated information leaks and the possibility of a corporate documents release by WikiLeaks." Is it still correct?

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your reply jerry081958. I wanted to know if the sentence changed to "On last week, he debated information leaks and the possibility of a corporate documents release by WikiLeaks." Is it still correct?
No, it is not.

"On" goes with "edition" (i.e., on last week's edition / on the edition last week), and since you deleted "edition", delete "On" as well:

• Last week, they debated....

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lauralie said it well. I agree. So, to come full circle, the preposition "on" will not have "week" as an object; that's true. But, "on last week's edition of Q & A", "on" is the preposition and "edition" is the object of the preposition and it works well.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you for the answers. That's clear for me....

Status
Not open for further replies.