Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
My wife wrote some daily note in her diary and asked me to correct her writing. I tried to correct it for her but I wonder that do we have to use past tense all the time in such writing ?

Can we use other tenses in the same paragraph ?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My wife wrote some daily note in her diary and asked me to correct her writing. I tried to correct it for her but I wonder [STRIKE]that do[/STRIKE] if we have to use past tense all the time in such writing ? No, you don't!
Can we use other tenses in the same paragraph ? You certainly can.
You can say things like...

I am very happy today.
I think I should speak to my boss about the new employee.
Marion seems seems to be hiding something from me.

hope2010

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
Oman
My wife wrote some daily note in her diary and asked me to correct her writing. I tried to correct it for her but I wonder that do we have to use past tense all the time in such writing ?

Can we use other tenses in the same paragraph ?

I would say it depends on the context. Generally past tense is used to narrate finished events but you can still use other tenses. E.g. you could say:

I had a wonderful start of the day. I went to the office and had my lovely cup of coffee. This is the only beverage that makes me function in the morning ( present tense is used here because this remains true for the writer as a fact).

Again other tenses can be used. E.g. I bought my coffee from the coffeeshop that has recently been opened downstairs.

So maily past tense is used in diary writing as the writing usually takes care of daily happenings. Yet you can still use other tenses as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
The following is the diary writing of my wife - Pam.
Today is New Year Day. There is nothing special. I stayed at home,relax, watched TV., ate, drank, and talked, I enjoyed staying at home. I sang a song "Happy New Year to You" .
I'm not sure if the word "relax" need endind with ed or not ?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The following is the diary writing of my wife - Pam.
Today is New Year Day. There is nothing special. I stayed at home,relax, watched TV., ate, drank, and talked, I enjoyed staying at home. I sang a song "Happy New Year to You" .
I'm not sure if the word "relax" needs to end with ed or not ? Yes, 'relaxed' would match the other past-tense verbs.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
If my friend(s)visit me at home and I want to tell him/her(them)to feel free or relax, what should I say ?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If my friend(s)visit me at home and I want to tell him/her(them)to feel free or relax, what should I say ?

You can say 'Make yourself at home.'

It means to relax and feel free to do what you wish. (within reason, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.