Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everybody,

I have a fable story and want to get your opinions about this.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]AN ASS, being driven along a high road, suddenly started off and
bolted to the brink of a deep precipice. While he was in the act
of throwing himself over, his owner seized him by the tail,
endeavoring to pull him back. When the Ass persisted in his
effort, the man let him go and said, "Conquer, but conquer to
your cost
."

What does the last sentence in the quotes mean?

Does it mean that he should overcome himself first before he wants to do something else?

Thanks very much.
[/FONT]

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]"Conquer, but conquer to
your cost
."[/FONT]

Ok, a couple of things. First, I do not know this fable so I have to make some assumptions.

Second, I think there is a mistake in the last sentence. I think it should be "[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]Conquer, but conquer AT your cost."
[/FONT]
To me this now means, that the owner is telling the donkey (ass), that he (the donkey) can do what he wants when he is not working for the owner, but while he is working he must do what he is told to do.

We typically say "do it AT your cost" to mean, do it when it does not affect me!

I am not a teacher -- just a native

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[FONT=Comic Sans MS, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Ariel]AN ASS, being driven along a high road, suddenly started off and bolted to the brink of a deep precipice. While he was in the act of throwing himself over, his owner seized him by the tail, endeavoring to pull him back. When the Ass persisted in his effort, the man let him go and said, "Conquer, but conquer to your cost."

What does the last sentence in the quotes mean?
[/FONT]
The donkey will be successful in its struggle agains the man, but will die as a result. So, the last sentence means, "You will win this struggle, but you will pay a heavy price for your victory".

ZaraCastle

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The donkey will be successful in its struggle agains the man, but will die as a result. So, the last sentence means, "You will win this struggle, but you will pay a heavy price for your victory".

So if I write this sentence in a full format, I can write as below?

You can conquer but it will probably conquer to/at your cost.

Does the first "conquer" mean that "You can do as your will" and the second one mean that "you would probably pay for your life"?
By the way, which preposition should accompanies "conquer" (to or at?). Thanks your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.