Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
When the white figure emerged at the window, there was a spooky silence, but in a moment we recognized George and burst into laughter.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

And the trees that surrounded the house sometimes had a slightly spooky look.

spooky = inspiring a feeling of fear; strange and frightening, sinister

I'm a big believer in synchronicity -- meaningful coincidence, or what you might call spooky coincidence.

spooky coincidence = unusual coincidence

I know that riding a spooky horse can be challenging and frustrating so here are some tips to help you understand why your horse spooks and to give you some tools to help

a spooky horse = a shy horse

There was something sinister about him that she found disturbing.

sinister = spooky, ominous

Thank you for your efforts.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]V[/FONT]

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

When the white figure emerged at the window, there was a spooky silence, but in a moment we recognized George and burst into laughter.

And the trees that surrounded the house sometimes had a slightly spooky look.

spooky = inspiring a feeling of fear; strange and frightening, sinister

I'm a big believer in synchronicity -- meaningful coincidence, or what you might call spooky coincidence.

spooky coincidence = unusual coincidence (not just unusual but weird, strange)

I know that riding a spooky horse can be challenging and frustrating so here are some tips to help you understand why your horse spooks and to give you some tools to help

a spooky horse = a shy horse

There was something sinister about him that she found disturbing.

sinister = spooky, ominous

Thank you for your efforts.

[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]V[/FONT]

I would not put write sinister as a synonym for spooky and vice versa. But I would write sinister as a synonym for ominous, though I am not in favour of synonyms at all!

The feeling behind calling something spooky is different from the feeling which makes us call something sinister. That's my opinion.

Have you looked up "spook" (as a verb and noun) in the dictionary?

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
spook: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

[FONT=&quot]spook (n) someone unpleasantly strange or eccentric/[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]a mental representation of some haunting experience/ a person secretly employed in espionage for a government[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]spook (v) frighten or scare, and often provoke into a violent action

spooky = sinister, frightful, ghostly, supernatural, weird, timid, fearful, easily frightened, shy
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would not put write sinister as a synonym for spooky and vice versa. But I would write sinister as a synonym for ominous, though I am not in favour of synonyms at all!

The feeling behind calling something spooky is different from the feeling which makes us call something sinister. That's my opinion.
I agree. I'm not a great fan of the concept of synonymy either.
"Spooky" sounds like a child/adolescent's word, whereas 'sinister', as you say, is more ominous.
A cat climbing past your bedroom window can be spooky. A man climbing past your bedroom window is sinister.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To my ear, spooky implies other-worldly, or supernatural; sinister implies evil and malicious.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree. I'm not a great fan of the concept of synonymy either.
"Spooky" sounds like a child/adolescent's word, whereas 'sinister', as you say, is more ominous.
A cat climbing past your bedroom window can be spooky. A man climbing past your bedroom window is sinister.

Perhaps we can add that something which is spooky brings no real harm and is not a serious threat. That's why mykwyner also mentioned it's other-worldliness and supernaturality.

And vil, it would be usefull if you take another look at your third example with an emphasize on "I am a big believer" part.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.