Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

What does 'cheeky' really mean?
A guy who says "Wow, you have big boobs! Can I touch them?" Does it make him cheeky? Or Would a man who touched a woman's butt be cheeky or simply rude?

thanks

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I answer with trepidation because cheeky is mainly BrE, less used in North America and in my opinion different in meaning over here.

In BrE a guy who says "Wow, you have big boobs! Can I touch them?" is being very cheeky indeed. A man who touched a (strange) woman's butt has probably crossed a line from being merely cheeky to something worse.

In North America I believe cheeky simply means brash or offensively bold, with no sexual connotation attached.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

This "cheeky" is not a word in American English. Many of us are aware of it, but it is British to us. I guess we think it means "impudent". (It's funny how little we know of Canadian usage.)

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could someone be "cheeky" in a lively and attractive way?!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could someone be "cheeky" in a lively and attractive way?!

Yes. A delicate touch would be required. But what a wonderful skill it would be to possess.:oops:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A guy who says "Wow, you have big boobs! Can I touch them?" This would be beyond the boundaries of being cheeky.
Would a man who touched a woman's butt be cheeky or simply rude? That might have been cheeky fifty years or more ago in certain situations; it would be completely unacceptable today.
'Cheeky' is hard to define. When a child is told not to be cheeky, (s)he has probably been unacceptably rude or impolite. However, if we speak of a young boy as 'a cheeky lad', we probably find him amusing.

In the pre-1960 days of censorship of stage acts, some comedians went very close to the mark with risque jokes. One of most most famous was 'The Cheeky Chappie', Max Miller (comedian) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
'Cheeky' is hard to define. When a child is told not to be cheeky, (s)he has probably been unacceptably rude or impolite. However, if we speak of a young boy as 'a cheeky lad', we probably find him amusing.

In the pre-1960 days of censorship of stage acts, some comedians went very close to the mark with risque jokes. One of most most famous was 'The Cheeky Chappie', Max Miller (comedian) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

RisquÉ jokes? ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

sebayanpendam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

What does 'cheeky' really mean?
A guy who says "Wow, you have big boobs! Can I touch them?" Does it make him cheeky? Or Would a man who touched a woman's butt be cheeky or simply rude?

thanks

So i guess 'pervert' is fit to describe a man who touched a woman's butt, right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I guess 'pervert' is fit to describe a man who touched a woman's butt, right?
Some would use it, but other would find that word a little strong for behaviour that certain people might consider falls within the bounds of 'normal' male behaviour.

Ok, OK, I know that many would consider the 'certain people' to be immature male chauvinist pigs, and I am in no way defending this decidedly inappropriate behaviour that most people today, male and female, would consider highly offensive. It would be a sackable offence in most places of employment, and could lead to legal action in many countries, but I do think that 'perverted' is not the right word.

I am speaking about a brief tap, not a stroke or carress.

Status
Not open for further replies.