Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hi.
I absolutely understand this is the ticklish issue but may I ask native speakers
when do you prefer use one or another?
Thanks in advance.

The Dude

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm just a simple sailor, so I use 'dead'. Always.

'Deceased' is far more formal and would be used in a report, in court or in any situation where you wanted to sound a little pompous. I still use 'dead'. ;-)

In exactly the same way, I use 'buy' instead of 'purchase'. They have the same difference. :)-? does that make sense?)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will see deceased person used and dead body, so deceased is sometimes used, I believe, when referring to a person and thinking about their character, estate, etc. However, I think there's a lot of sense in the simple sailor approach outlined above. ;-)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Thanks, I think I'll take sailor approach :-D
But despite of that fact decesead sounds more politely, yeah.. may be a little bit pompus.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Undertakers (people who organize funerals) - at least professionally - always use a euphemism: 'departed'/'deceased'.... (Away from the public eye, among themselves, they quite probably use the opposite [a 'dysphemism' is the word I think :-?] and call a dead body somethhing like a 'stiff', or just a 'job'.) Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One is an interesting and amusing source of information and observation about this - for advanced students, that is.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.