Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Could you explain to me the difference between these two expressions - to be dogged and to be hounded?
Do they mean the self-same thing?
I have written some sentences by trying to use them correctly. Are they correct?

1) He's hounded/dogged by misfortune.
2) Clara is hounded/dogged by fate.
3) She was hounded/dogged by her ex-husband who wanted to live with her still.
4) I was hounded/dogged by the police because I had been charged by the shop-assistent with stealing some cloths.

Could you explain to me the difference between these two expressions - to be dogged and to be hounded?
I have written some sentences by trying to use them correctly. Are they correct?

4) I was hounded/dogged by the police because I had been charged by the shop-assistent with stealing some cloths.

My basic Oxford American Dictionary defines "hound" as "to harass or pursue" and "dog" as "to follow closely or persistently." I would use them interchangeably. You can check further at OneLook Dictionary Search.

So, are all the sentences I have written correct?

So, are all the sentences I have written correct?

3) She was hounded/dogged by her ex-husband who still wanted to live with her. [STRIKE]still.[/STRIKE]
4) I was hounded/dogged by the police because I had been charged by the shop-assistant with stealing some cloths.
1,3 and 4 are correct.
I was in doubt about #2, but the Oxford American Dictionary defines "fate" as "a power thought to control all events and impossible to resist." In light of that definition I'd say that #4 is also correct.

noteacher

You dog (stay on, like a bloodhound) someone's trail, and you hound (harangue) them to collect a debt. eg.
I think dog is more passive than hound. Fate or misfortune can't deliberately hound you so much as it can follow(dog)you.

1) He's dogged by misfortune. Misfortune dogged his trail.
2) Clara is dogged by unlucky fate. Unlucky fate dogged Marsha's footsteps.
3) She was hounded/dogged by her ex-husband who still wanted to live with her.
4) I was hounded by the police because I had been charged by the shop-assistant with stealing some clothes. (unless they are following you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back