Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Hello, can you please explain to me what does "a deep team" mean?
Yesterday at a press-conference Phil Jackson called Dallas Mavericks "a more deeper team" than the Lakers.

Code:
"Perhaps Dallas is a little deeper team, a little more talented off the  bench than we were and it came to bear during the course of these  playoffs.”
Sportscasters use this word very often but I still can't figure out what it really means.

Thank you.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Phil Jackson likely meant that the Mavericks have more talented players
than the Lakers. "Depth" in sports in usually refers to the amount of talent a team has at various positions.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Hello, can you please explain to me what does "a deep team" mean?
Yesterday at a press-conference Phil Jackson called Dallas Mavericks "a more deeper team" than the Lakers.

Code:
"Perhaps Dallas is a little deeper team, a little more talented off the  bench than we were and it came to bear during the course of these  playoffs.”
Sportscasters use this word very often but I still can't figure out what it really means.

Thank you.

NOT A TEACHER.

He was referring to the Mavs bench, i.e., the players coming off the bench (e.g., Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic, Brendan Haywood). The Mavs had more players contributing off the bench than the Lakers, who could rely only on Lamar Odom and, to a lesser extent, Shannon Brown.

Dready

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Thank you. Now it's pretty clear what he meant.

P.S. Phil Jackson deserved a better ending of his career. :) NBA's lost one of the wittiest guy in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.