Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In the following sentence, can I use ' could' or migh/may to indicate possibility?

A.Where is the spatula? It should be in this drawer but it is not here.
I just did a load of dishes last n ight and they are still in the dish washer. It B. musst be in there. That's the only place it ________ be.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this sentence could is correct.

Rover

bosun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
why can't I use ' might' or ' may' which indicate possibility like could?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
why can't I use ' might' or ' may' which indicate possibility like could?
Because they don't indicate possibility like 'could'. They indicate possibility in different ways which aren't appropriate in this context.

A: Where's the spatula?
B: The cat might have swallowed it.
A: The cat couldn't have swallowed it! Right.
A: * The cat mightn't have swallowed it. Wrong.

Some of the uses and the differences between the modals are subtle, and the only way to master them is with practice and use - ie. reading and listening.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If it must be in the only place they haven't yet looked, then it's a certainty, not a possibility.

Rover

gulesin

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Because they don't indicate possibility like 'could'. They indicate possibility in different ways which aren't appropriate in this context.

Could you explain these different ways more detailed please?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you explain these different ways more detailed please?
No I can't. See my amended message above. When I say "different ways", I don't mean there are X different ways that can be explained didactically. I simply mean that they are used differently.
If you have a specific question, that is answerable. Otherwise a grammar book is the place to start, and a lot of reading is the next step.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you can't remember where you put the spatula, then there are a lot of places it might be. (There are alternative places where it might be.)

However, if you specifically remember putting it in the dishwasher, then that is the only place it could be. (There are no alternative places it could be.)

bosun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Then, what does this ' could' mean? I was told when we talk about possibility, might /may and could be used interchangeably and could indicates the weakest possibility. I am very confused.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then, what does this ' could' mean? I was told when we talk about possibility, might /may and could be used interchangeably and could indicates the weakest possibility. I am very confused.
emsr2d2, Raymott and Rover have done the best that can be done without, as Raymott suggested, a lot of reading and listening. Read through their posts again, carefully.

'Could' in your sentence, means something like:

That is the only place in which there is a real possibility of its being. This possibility is so real that it is effectively a certainty.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's probably worth pointing out that what you have been told is wrong.
Might/may/could are not used interchangeably. You will feel less confused once you accept this.
They do not indicate different levels of probability in standard English. If your spatula could be in the dishwasher, it is no more or less likely to be there than if it might be in the dishwasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.