[General] Would you tell me what "kick it." means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello.

I heard the sentence "This looks like a cool place to kick it." in a movie.

The phrase "Kick it" could be including the meaning "hang out with someone"?

Can this following sentences "I am kicking it with my friend at the mall, doing some window shopping" and "I am kicking it at home." be used in this way?

Would you tell me how do I say in English when I am doing nothing at home <of course, I could be watching television or using a computer>

I mean, when you got a call from your friend while you were watching TV or Web surfing or something like that, and If your friend who are calling you ask to you, "what are you doing?"

Is it okay if I say, "I'm chilling at home." in this situation as a response?

How do you usually say as a response?

Thank you for taking the time ^_^

P.s: I would appreciate if you could correct sentences that sound awkward or unnatural.

I think 'chilling' is more sociable than that - but it's hard to say, as I don't speak that language ;-). I'd say 'mooching' or 'slobbing about'.

b

"Kicking it" is English slang meaning to relax. it comes from the notion of relaxing by kicking off your shoes.

Chilling, also slang, is very similar in meaning to kicking it. It comes from the idea that if you're active you'll work up a sweat but if you're
not doing anything you'll be cold 'chilled.'

All your sentences are understandable but not quite right.

Could the expression "kick it" mean to hang out with someone?

Can this following sentences "I am kicking it with my friend at the mall, doing some window shopping" and "I am kicking it at home." be used in this way?
Can the following sentences . . .

Would you tell me how do I say in English when I am doing nothing at home <of course, I could be watching television or using a computer>
Would you tell me what I say in English when . . .

I mean, when you got a call from your friend while you were watching TV or Web surfing or something like that, and If your friend who are calling you ask to you, "what are you doing?"
I mean, if you get a call from your friend while you are watching TV or Web surfing or something like that, and if the friend asks you, "what are you doing?"

Is it okay if I say, "I'm chilling at home" in this situation as a response?
[no period]

What do you usually say in response?

I think 'chilling' is more sociable than that - but it's hard to say, as I don't speak that language ;-). I'd say 'mooching' or 'slobbing about'.

b

Thank you for the comment, Bobk !

then, Is it okay if I say, "l'm mooching (at home) now" or I am slobbing (at home) now.

Would you show me some full sentences? Thanks ^_^

"Kicking it" is English slang meaning to relax. it comes from the notion of relaxing by kicking off your shoes.

Chilling, also slang, is very similar in meaning to kicking it. It comes from the idea that if you're active you'll work up a sweat but if you're
not doing anything you'll be cold 'chilled.'

All your sentences are understandable but not quite right.

Could the expression "kick it" mean to hang out with someone?

Can the following sentences . . .

Would you tell me what I say in English when . . .

I mean, if you get a call from your friend while you are watching TV or Web surfing or something like that, and if the friend asks you, "what are you doing?"

Is it okay if I say, "I'm chilling at home" in this situation as a response?
[no period]

What do you usually say in response?

Thank you for correcting sentences with your explanations,bwkcaj_ca. !!!

Both sentences "I am chilling at home" and "I am kicking it at home" sound weird? is it okay if I use both sentences, sometimes ?

I means, I am just curious what do you usually say in response in the situation above?

< Bobk gave me another way of speaking, but I would like to know more way of saying this. so....>

< Bobk gave me another way of speaking, but I would like to know more way of saying this. so....>
Perhaps the options I gave you are (southern) Br Eng?

Examples:

What did you do at the weekend?
Not much. Bit of shopping on Saturday morning - otherwise I just mooched around at home.

b

Hello.

I heard the sentence "This looks like a cool place to kick it." in a movie.

Yes. A good place to "kick it" means a place to relax and hang out.

These are common slang phrases used in AmE, although usually among the "young" set (that is, it is more common for a teenager or a person in their 20s to say "I'm at the mall kicking it with my friend" than for a 50-year-old.)

Again, this is a common AmE slang response for younger folks...if someone calls them and asks "what are you doing?" (actually, this demographic would probably say "Whazzup?", a slurred way of asking "What's up?"), "I'm just sitting here, chilling" or "I'm at home, chilling" would be common replies.

Example:
Friend on phone: "Hey, what's up?"
You (at home): "Nothing much, I'm just chilling, watching TV. What's up with you?"
Friend: "Some of us were talking about kicking it at Jason's house for a while...his parents won't be home until late, and he's got Rock Band 3 on his Wii."
You: "Dude! I'm there!"

Perhaps the options I gave you are (southern) Br Eng?

Examples:

What did you do at the weekend?
Not much. Bit of shopping on Saturday morning - otherwise I just mooched around at home.

b

Thank you for giving me some examples! ^_^

Have a great day!!!

Yes. A good place to "kick it" means a place to relax and hang out.

These are common slang phrases used in AmE, although usually among the "young" set (that is, it is more common for a teenager or a person in their 20s to say "I'm at the mall kicking it with my friend" than for a 50-year-old.)

Again, this is a common AmE slang response for younger folks...if someone calls them and asks "what are you doing?" (actually, this demographic would probably say "Whazzup?", a slurred way of asking "What's up?"), "I'm just sitting here, chilling" or "I'm at home, chilling" would be common replies.

Example:
Friend on phone: "Hey, what's up?"
You (at home): "Nothing much, I'm just chilling, watching TV. What's up with you?"
Friend: "Some of us were talking about kicking it at Jason's house for a while...his parents won't be home until late, and he's got Rock Band 3 on his Wii."
You: "Dude! I'm there!"

Hello, Ouisch.

I would like to thank your for leaving comments with clear explanations^_^

I'd better write it down to commit these to memory ;-)

By the way, I was just wondering if these sentences "I'm goofing around/off (at home)" or "I'm bumming around (at home) have similar meaning to "I'm just chilling."

Thanks again. ^_^

Peter.

Last edited:
I haven't heard 'goofing around' in this context - it's closer to 'fooling around' [that is, 'playing the fool']. I have heard 'bumming around' - and even used it in the '60s. But it sounds to me rather dated (used in those days to imply 'I've heard of Woody Guthrie') ;-)

b

In AmE, "bumming around" can mean just hanging out, doing nothing, but it is very old-fashioned usage. It's something my Mom used to say. :roll::oops: "Goofing off" is still fairly common to mean doing nothing in particular, or doing something other than your assigned task (for example, surfing the Internet while at work or texting a friend while in class instead of paying attention to the instructor). "Goofing around" can either mean to joke with someone, or to hang out with friends and do silly (sometimes dangerous) things just for the heck of it.

For example, Bill is rushed to the emergency room of the hospital with an arrow stuck in his chest. His two friends explain to the doctor "It was an accident! We were just goofing around and decided to play 'William Tell'!"

"Goofing around" really doesn't imply relaxing like "kicking it" or "chilling", it usually implies some sort of silly activity. :-D

I haven't heard 'goofing around' in this context - it's closer to 'fooling around' [that is, 'playing the fool']. I have heard 'bumming around' - and even used it in the '60s. But it sounds to me rather dated (used in those days to imply 'I've heard of Woody Guthrie') ;-)

b

Thank you, Bobk !!!! ;-)

In AmE, "bumming around" can mean just hanging out, doing nothing, but it is very old-fashioned usage. It's something my Mom used to say. :roll::oops: "Goofing off" is still fairly common to mean doing nothing in particular, or doing something other than your assigned task (for example, surfing the Internet while at work or texting a friend while in class instead of paying attention to the instructor). "Goofing around" can either mean to joke with someone, or to hang out with friends and do silly (sometimes dangerous) things just for the heck of it.

For example, Bill is rushed to the emergency room of the hospital with an arrow stuck in his chest. His two friends explain to the doctor "It was an accident! We were just goofing around and decided to play 'William Tell'!"

"Goofing around" really doesn't imply relaxing like "kicking it" or "chilling", it usually implies some sort of silly activity. :-D

Oh my God! I am now able to understand by your explanations! Thank you!!

Bobk gave me good example with clear explanaion in Br and you gave me in Am. It really helped !!! :up:

That's really kind of you guys.;-)

Thank you guys ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back