Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,466
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    rip off a movie

    Can you rip off a movie on a digital camera?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,236
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Can you rip off a movie on a digital camera?
    I'm not sure!! If you went to the cinema and used a digital video camera to actually record the film then the copy of the film you have would be a "ripoff" (or a pirated version).

    You can "rip" music or films from a disc onto your hard drive. It simply means to copy them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,466
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm not sure!! If you went to the cinema and used a digital video camera to actually record the film then the copy of the film you have would be a "ripoff" (or a pirated version).

    You can "rip" music or films from a disc onto your hard drive. It simply means to copy them.
    Would there be a verd to describe when these guys sit in a movie theater and film it on a camera? Do they knock it off or perhaps they cam-rip it?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,816
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: rip off a movie

    Pirate.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,236
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: rip off a movie

    I believe it would be called a cam-rip, yes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,466
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I believe it would be called a cam-rip, yes.
    " disapproving : to copy or imitate (something) improperly : to make something that is too much like (something made by someone else)
    ▪ The film has done well, but its makers have been accused of ripping off another movie made 30 years ago. "

    Could I use "rip off a movie" in terms of making a copy of it of wose quality?

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,236
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    " disapproving : to copy or imitate (something) improperly : to make something that is too much like (something made by someone else)
    ▪ The film has done well, but its makers have been accused of ripping off another movie made 30 years ago. "

    Could I use "rip off a movie" in terms of making a copy of it of wose quality?
    If you "rip off" a movie in this sense, it doesn't really mean making an exact copy but of worse quality. It usually means making a different film but which has such a similar plot etc that it's very like the other film.

    However, when talking about fake designer goods, you would call an inferior quality exact copy a "ripoff".

    - I bought a Gucci handbag.
    - A real one?
    - Of course not. They're really expensive. I bought a ripoff.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,466
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you "rip off" a movie in this sense, it doesn't really mean making an exact copy but of worse quality. It usually means making a different film but which has such a similar plot etc that it's very like the other film.

    However, when talking about fake designer goods, you would call an inferior quality exact copy a "ripoff".

    - I bought a Gucci handbag.
    - A real one?
    - Of course not. They're really expensive. I bought a ripoff.
    When it comes to burning CDs with pirated movies, can I say "knock off CDs witn a movie as in "2 knock (something) off or knock off (something) a : to do or make (something) very quickly
    ▪ He knocked off 10 paintings in 4 days. ▪ We are planning to knock this project off in a weekend."?

  4. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: rip off a movie

    In AmE, to "rip off" is to steal or copy an item or a concept. If you said "Fred ripped off the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie", it implies that Fred has made a movie with characters and a plot very similar to Pirates of the Caribbean. But "ripped" (when discussing digital technology) means a copy of a song or movie that has been burned onto a CD or DVD. If you said "Fred ripped a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean", it implies that he illegally filmed it in a cinema and is now making copies of it on DVDs.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,466
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: rip off a movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In AmE, to "rip off" is to steal or copy an item or a concept. If you said "Fred ripped off the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie", it implies that Fred has made a movie with characters and a plot very similar to Pirates of the Caribbean. But "ripped" (when discussing digital technology) means a copy of a song or movie that has been burned onto a CD or DVD. If you said "Fred ripped a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean", it implies that he illegally filmed it in a cinema and is now making copies of it on DVDs.
    Can I say "kock off CD with a movie"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Apr-2009, 09:40
  2. let it rip!
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-May-2008, 12:29
  3. to rip off
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Mar-2008, 14:01
  4. Rip apart
    By samfat33 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2007, 20:22
  5. rip something a new one?
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2007, 07:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •