Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In Singapore, a male citizen is called up for national service in the army soon after he has completed his A levels or polytechnic education.

Can I say that the person involved has been enlisted when he is called up for national service? Or should I say "The person involved has been enlisted for national service"? In other words, have I to add the phrase 'for national service'?

Thanks.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Enlist means ‘enroll in military’ etc. So I think ‘The person involved has been enlisted’ should be enough.

I don't think that you should add the phrase 'for national service'.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Tan Elaine

As a NES, but not a teacher, I support MN's assertion that, in your particular example (with the use of the term: "has been enlisted" - which implies compulsion), "for national service" could be reasonably be assumed.

There could be, however, other nuances to the word "enlist", that may need to be taken into account in other situations, as per the following reference:
Enlist: - definition of Enlist: by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
vb
(Military) to enter or persuade to enter into an engagement to serve in the armed forces
2. (tr) to engage or secure (a person, his services, or his support) for a venture, cause, etc.
3. (intr; foll by in) to enter into or join an enterprise, cause, etc.

Regards
R21

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The normal expression in Britain, when we had National Service (or, in war-time, the Call-Up [conscription]), was simply "be called up":

Fred is expecting to be called up any day now.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The normal expression in Britain, when we had National Service (or, in war-time, the Call-Up [conscription]), was simply "be called up":

Thanks, Fivejedjon.

Would it be wrong if I say "Fred is expecting to be called up for National Service any day now"? Would I be seen as uneducated?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would it be wrong if I say "Fred is expecting to be called up for National Service any day now"? Would I be seen as uneducated.
That would be normal today, in my opinion. As we haven't had National Service in England for over fifty years, "Fred is expecting to be called up" might well not be understood in the way that the expression was used when I was young. Fred is presumably a citizen of a country where conscription still exists, and your sentence makes the meaning clear.

Even back when we had it, I don't think your sentence would have been considered uneducated. To the contrary, it might have been considered a little formal.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: And when people do it of their own free will, they 'sign up'. 'Call-up' can behave as an adjective. My brother 'got his call-up papers'.

b

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
In the US, when we had conscription, the person was "drafted." One who volunteers, "enlists."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the US, when we had conscription, the person was "drafted." One who volunteers, "enlists."
On our side of the pond, we understand those words, but we don't normally use them in that sense.

I am not sure whether this is still true, but when my father was in the Royal Navy (1940s to 1960s) he was often drafted; he received orders to join a new ship/establishment. I don't even know now whether he was 'drafted' or 'draughted'.

ps. http://www.rncom.mod.uk/Family_Wellbeing/Relocating/Drafting.aspx

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Go for the more complex and counter-intuitive spelling - it usually works (this side of the Pond at least) ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.