Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. There is a big apartment without room. Lin makes two rooms with thick wooden walls. Since the walls are not made of cement. Shall I call them pedestion or divider?

2. Any mistake in the above question?

Ju

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. There is a big apartment without rooms. Lin makes two rooms with thick wooden walls. Since the walls are not made of cement. Shall I call them pedestion or divider?
The phrase in red is not a sentence. What does it mean? I understand that the walls are not made made of wood, but why the "since"?

2. Any mistake in the above question?

Ju
Why would you call it a pedestion? That's not even an English word, as far as I'm aware. You could call the dividing wall a divider.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Ju

There is a big apartment without room(?)
This sentence doesn't make sense.
What I would have said, as a NES, but not a teacher, would have been: There is a large, single-room 'apartment' ('flat' in BrE)."

Lin makes two rooms with thick wooden walls.
The walls are not made of cement.

There is no such word in the Free Dictionary as "pedestion"
A "room-divider" would not normally be full height from floor to ceiling.
Full height, non load-bearing walls of the type I believe you are referring to are called "partition walls".

Hope this helps
R21

PS Looks like Raymott got there just ahead of me!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If the wall is made of a wooden frame covered with plasterboard or some other thin board, it is a technically a stud wall. These walls are commonly called (room-) dividers, dividing walls, and partition walls

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Ju

What I would have said, as a NES, but not a teacher, would have been: There is a large, single-room 'apartment' ('flat' in BrE)."
This is called a studio apartment in Aus. Maybe that's from AmE?
But they do seem to be common in Art House movies from continental Europe.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, a large one-room apartment would be a "studio." A small one would be an "efficiency."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. There is a big apartment without individual rooms. Lin makes it into two rooms [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] by adding thick wooden walls.[STRIKE] Since[/STRIKE] The walls are not made of cement so should I call them pedestions (as people have said, there is no such word as pedestion) or dividers?

2. Are there any mistakes in the above question?

Ju

You have received some good replies regarding the actual question, but please see my annotations in red to your entire post.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
If the wall is made of a wooden frame covered with plasterboard or some other thin board, it is a technically a stud wall. These walls are commonly called (room-) dividers, dividing walls, and partition walls [i.e. based on what they are used for as opposed to how they are constructed]

I agree about your "stud"- type of wall - the thing that was putting me off was the term: "thick wooden walls" in the OP - I've not come across the term previously and initially assumed that your term "stud" referred to fastenings.

On checking via the Free Dictionary: studs - definition of studs by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. it gives:
(Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) Building trades: A vertical member made of timber, steel, etc., that is used with others to construct the framework of a wall (BrE) and
An upright post in the framework of a wall for supporting sheets of lath, wallboard, or similar material (AME).
You learn something new every day on this site!

I would normally have regarded "room dividers" as being "part-height" temporary partitions or folding screens, but some hotels do use full height folding (concertina) walls to temporarily divide up conference rooms to make multiple smaller meeting rooms.

Regards
R21 - A Chemical (not Structural) Engineer!

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, a large one-room apartment would be a "studio." A small one would be an "efficiency."

An "efficiency" - Another new term (from AME) that I, and I suspect many Brits, have never come across before!

Many thanks, SoothingDave
R21

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An "efficiency" - Another new term (from AME) that I, and I suspect many Brits, have never come across before!

Many thanks, SoothingDave
R21

I only recently discovered that a flat in AmE has a different name depending on whether you rent it or own it.
If I remember rightly, it's an apartment if it's rented and a condo (condominium) if bought!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's correct, generally. I believe people in New York City talk about buying apartments as well as renting them.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is called a studio apartment in Aus. Maybe that's from AmE?
But they do seem to be common in Art House movies from continental Europe.

We call it a studio apartment or (more frequently) a bachelor apartment.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm still flummoxed by this pedestion thing. Ju must have had some reason for thinking it might be appropriate. Where did it come from? A mis-read handwritten note? - If so, of what?

Perhaps it from an unrelated contextual thing, like a picture of a street scene where there was no divider between cars and pedestrians... Hmm, I don't buy it... ;-)

b

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
"partition"?
R21