Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "suit him for a while"

[[FONT=&quot]He comes off the bench, and he gets some vital goals and that seems to suit him for a while really.[/FONT]]

That was about a Nigerian footballer.

Thanks a lot.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

[[FONT=&quot]He comes off the bench, and he gets some vital goals and that seems to suit him for a while really.[/FONT]]

Thanks a lot.

Used in a variety of ways: to satisfy, to be equal to, to be proper, to agree. In your example, I would think it means "to satisfy", particularly with the term "for awhile". Other uses:
Want to go to the movies? Suits me. (agreement); Does this dress suit the occasion? (to be proper); The punishment doesn't suit the crime.(to be equal to/to be proper)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Dear all,

Thanks a lot.
It satisfies him, pleases him or it meets his needs.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Used in a variety of ways: to satisfy, to be equal to, to be proper, to agree. In your example, I would think it means "to satisfy", particularly with the term "for awhile". Other uses:
Want to go to the movies? Suits me. (agreement); Does this dress suit the occasion? (to be proper); The punishment doesn't suit the crime.(to be equal to/to be proper)

You kindly mean that "he got happy for awhile after he scored the goals"? Is that it?

Thanks.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
That's what it means.:)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
He comes off the bench, and he gets some vital goals and that seems to suit him for a while really.

You kindly mean that "he got happy for awhile after he scored the goals"? Is that it?

maiabulela.
I'd like to suggest a slightly different interpretation.
Perhaps it is the way the coach is using the player (ie bringing him off the bench to make an impact rather than playing him for the whole game) is the thing that "suits him" as a footballer. In which case the report is saying that this way of employing the player's talent seems appropriate and effective at the moment.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.