Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello there,

Please understand the comparison of the meaning for all of these words.

1. Repercussion: does it mean the same thing as revenge?
- Ryan had better be prepared for the hateful repercussion after years of abusing his girlfriend.

Does it have the same meaning as

- Ryan had better be prepared for the hateful revenge after years of abusing his girlfriend.

2. Manifest: show plainly
- Bo had mismanaged his business and caused him to go bankrupted. Because of this, many of his employees are currently unemployed and having difficult time to put food on their table for their family. His incompetence to run the company manifests that he needs to be more careful when he makes big decision.

AND

Bo had mismanaged his business and caused him to go bankrupted. Because of this, many of his employees are currently unemployed and having difficult time to put food on their table for their family. His incompetence to run the company proves that he needs to be more careful when he makes big decision.

3. Conceit: An unduly high opinion of oneself

- Joe has released one song which became one of the biggest hits in his local radio station. Since then, Joe has claimed that he is the best things that happens after Micheal Jackson. What a conceit!

and

Joe has released one song which became one of the biggest hits in his local radio station. Since then, Joe has claimed that he is the best things that happens after Micheal Jackson. He is so full of himself.

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello there,

Please understand the comparison of the meaning for all of these words.

1. Repercussion: does it mean the same thing as revenge?
- Ryan had better be prepared for the hateful repercussion after years of abusing his girlfriend.

Does it have the same meaning as

- Ryan had better be prepared for the hateful revenge after years of abusing his girlfriend.

No, 'repercussion' doesn't mean 'revenge'.

2. Manifest: show plainly
- Bo had mismanaged his business and caused him to go bankrupted. Because of this, many of his employees are currently unemployed and having difficult time to put food on their table for their family. His incompetence to run the company manifests that he needs to be more careful when he makes big decision.

AND

Bo had mismanaged his business and caused him to go bankrupted. Because of this, many of his employees are currently unemployed and having difficult time to put food on their table for their family. His incompetence to run the company proves that he needs to be more careful when he makes big decision.

No, the connotations of 'manifest' and 'prove' are different.

3. Conceit: An unduly high opinion of oneself

- Joe has released one song which became one of the biggest hits in his local radio station. Since then, Joe has claimed that he is the best things that happens after Micheal Jackson. What a conceit!

and

Joe has released one song which became one of the biggest hits in his local radio station. Since then, Joe has claimed that he is the best things that happens after Micheal Jackson. He is so full of himself.
I suppose they mean vaguely the same thing in this context.
If you find no one is answering your questions, you could consider asking one question per post. Some of us are lazy. Others might be able to answer two of your questions, but not the third - so they will bypass the lot.

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to response to my questions.

If you don't mind me asking you a little more, would you please telling me how to use "repercussion"?I know it means similar to result, consequence, or impact. If that is the case, when should I use "repercussion" over those words.

More importantly, I tried to write the sentence about getting far in the career. If that is so, can I say.

I heard that Mark Zuckenburg said to the graduated student to never take a shortcut to become successful in life. In my opinion, this means that I should remain faithful and do exactly what I am supposed to the company. Ultimately, the positive repercussion will manifest itself.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I heard that Mark Zuckenburg said to the graduated student to never take a shortcut to become successful in life. In my opinion, this means that I should remain faithful and do exactly what I am supposed to (in) the company. Ultimately, the positive repercussion will manifest itself.

No, you can't use repercussion in that context. Repercussion is used in the negative sense, so you cannot have 'positive repercussion'. You can use 'positive results'.

not a teacher

kiwi man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Because Raymott likes the comment, should I assume that what TedTMC said was correct?

Thank you!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Because Raymott likes the comment, should I assume that what TedTMC said was correct?

Thank you!
I'd say that if a teacher 'likes' a non-native person's answer, and does not comment further, that the teacher is agreeing that the answer is correct. That rule isn't infallible though.

I agree with the parts in blue following:
"No, you can't use repercussion in that context. Repercussion is used in the negative sense, so you cannot have 'positive repercussion'. You can use 'positive results'."

Reconsidering, I would not rule out the use of "positive repercussions", but it's not something I'd use myself unless someone mentioned "negative repercussions".

Status
Not open for further replies.