Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers...

Do these sentences read well?

Hey man, have you got a minute? There is some real bad stuff happening around the office lately.

Hey man, have you got a minute? There has been some real bad stuff happening around the office lately.

Hey man, have you got a minute? Some real bad stuff has happened around the office lately.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, but the first is very colloquial, bordering on non-standard, to me- the perfect forms sound better there. Others may view it differently, and it may be a BrE thing.

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, but the first is very colloquial, bordering on non-standard, to me- the perfect forms sound better there. Others may view it differently, and it may be a BrE thing.

I'd agree with this but add that in my opinion "real" should be "really" since it is an adverb modifying the adjective "bad."

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I'd agree with this but add that in my opinion "real" should be "really" since it is an adverb modifying the adjective "bad."
Yes, the first sentence is the original, the other ones are attempts of correction. Of course, I missed the 'really' thing.;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Of course, I missed the 'really' thing.
Given that you started, "Hey man," this is an informal utterance, and the 'real bad' is fine. It is, of course, incorrect in standard English.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. Who was "Hey, man" addressed to?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I agree. Who was "Hey, man" addressed to?
No one. This a sentence I quoted from one of my English textbooks. I found it odd and wanted to know if I was right, it turns out it's just informal.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No one. This a sentence I quoted from one of my English textbooks. I found it odd and wanted to know if I was right, it turns out it's just informal.
I'd be suspicious of any textbook I encountered that gave a sentence beginning, "Hey, man" - unless of course, it was clear from context/co-text that it was produced in an informal setting.

I am a past-my-sell-by-date old f**t who takes umbrage when addressed as 'man' or, even worse, 'dude'. I accept that younger people, normally, mean no disrespect when they use such terms but I don't like it! I have no desire at all to be addressed as 'sir', and I have long learnt to live with the fact that people I do not know (and have no wish to know) use my first name as though we have been exchanging intimacies for decades, but I draw the line at 'man', 'dude' and 'bro'.

Sorry. A geriatric moment. :oops:

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey man, have you got a minute? There has been some bad stuff happening around the office lately.

This form with "real" removed is correct
However, no one around here says "Hey man" -- sounds strange. We would actually use "Dude..you got a minute? -- There's been some bad stuff happening around here lately"

Not a teacher - AmE native (from Texas)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Thanks for spotting that- I was looking at the verbs too closely and missed it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.