Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

Today, browsing the internet I came across an advertisement slogan that left me suspicious about it's orthography.

The slogan says: Save up to 95% on hot name brand new products

Could you tell if this is correct?

I live in UK and thus learning english is my priority.

Thanks in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's OK, but that many adjectives in a row begs for some commas or something. Name-brand could be hyphenated.

kindofperson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
UK
I see very often different ads (banners, posters) that has the plane text without commas and dots. Is there a rule for or is it just commonly acceptable to have them out of text for for promotional content?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] very often see different ads (banners, posters) that ha[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ve the [STRIKE]plane[/STRIKE] plain text without commas and [STRIKE]dots[/STRIKE] full stops. Is there a rule for or is it just commonly acceptable not to have them [STRIKE]out of[/STRIKE] text for for promotional content?
There are no laws about punctuation - or about spelling; people can spell and punctuate as they wish. Those who wish to give a good impresssion of themselves follow the normal conventions.

Advertisers, however, often use little punctuation, and occassional odd spellings, or even grammar, in order to catch the eye. A very famous advertising campaign for milk some fifty or more years ago used the slogan 'Drinka pinta milka day'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's OK, but that many adjectives in a row begs for some commas or something. Name-brand could be hyphenated.

Does brand go with name or new? I ask because I would generally say brand name.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does brand go with name or new? I ask because I would generally say brand name.

I probably would, too, but I do hear of big clearance sales sometimes that talk about name brand merchandise.

Odd that some marketing guy threw together a bunch of words and we could be discussing the arsing of them. It could indeed be "hot, name-brand, new products" or "hot-name brand-new products."

Same idea when all added up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.