[Grammar] in approximately this two decades' time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csika

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dear Forum Users,

I have highlighted a proble matic part in this paragraph -- not sure that it is correct. Could anyone please give a solution?

"To offer a usable compilation of the incredible history and the diversity of the theories that emerged in the 1980s and 90s is an impossible task. I thus limit my scope to the most definitive accounts. But, since a great number of scholars have published important works in approximately this two decades’ time, even such a narrowing does not make full coverage possible."

Thank you.

Csika

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Dear Forum Users,

I have highlighted a proble matic part in this paragraph -- not sure that it is correct. Could anyone please give a solution?

"To offer a usable compilation of the incredible history and the diversity of the theories that emerged in the 1980s and 90s is an impossible task. I thus limit my scope to the most definitive accounts. But, since a great number of scholars have published important works in approximately this two decades’ time, even such a narrowing does not make full coverage possible."

Thank you.

Csika

It means this period of two decades (80s & 90s). Try reading it as if it were hyphenated: this two-decades' time.

Hedwig
Not a teacher

Csika

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
So is the highlighted part grammatically correct in the original post?

Csika

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the original your writing?

If you are talking about the 1980s and the 1990s, it *IS* two decades, not approximately two decades.

But, since a great number of scholars [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] published important works in [STRIKE]approximately this [/STRIKE] those two decade[STRIKE]s’ time[/STRIKE],

Csika

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi Barb_D,

Yes, the original is my writing.

Anyway, 'these' or, as you said, "those" two decades?

Thanks for your help.

Csika

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could use either these or those in this case. Those because they were a while ago, but these because you're pracitically holding them in your hand as you talk about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.