Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What shall I use, either one?
The biggest problem in our country is our Government and its/ their bogus policies.

Huda-M

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What shall I use, either one?
The biggest problem in our country is our Government and its/ their bogus policies.
'Its'
As you know the 'Government' is one whole working body, and you are not referring to the different people there separately.
(ps I'm not a teacher)

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
'Its'
As you know the 'Government' is one whole working body, and you are not referring to the different people there separately.
(ps I'm not a teacher)
Thanks Brother, but I would like teachers' comments. Please teachers consider my question too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Huda-M.

"...the Government and its policies..."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE generally, collective nouns can be regarded as singular or plural. "The government, with their policies, deserve to be thrown out as soon ..." is acceptable.

Last edited:

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I agree with Huda-M.

"...the Government and its policies..."
I don't understand why there are so many differences and variations in opinions of English learned people. Some people say something and the other people say something else.
What would you say about the following sentence which has been taken from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
The government is/are expected to announce its/their tax proposals today.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I would say that it agrees with what I said in my previous post: "In BrE generally, collective nouns can be regarded as singular or plural."
Now, it makes sense. Thanks a million, sir.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I don't understand why there are so many differences and variations in opinions of English learned people. Some people say something and the other people say something else. Hi, Fairy. You may not have noticed that very often posters make it clear that they are talking about a specific variety of English, such as BrE or AmE. The language is so widespread around the world that it has regional divergences.
What would you say about the following sentence which has been taken from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
The government is/are expected to announce its/their tax proposals today. I'd say the dictionary means both forms are possible. Mind you, if you choose is you should match it with its, and are with their.

See above. And make the cursor hover over the (underlined) acronyms if you're not sure what they mean. :)

Hedwig
Not a teacher

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Not a teacher.

See, when you take government as a whole, you shall use "its" with it. However, if you were to take government as composed of separate elements then you shall have to use "theirs" with it.

Cases in point:

Herd is grasing, If we were to take herd as a whole.
Herd are grasing. If we were to take herd as composed of separate sheep.

Pakistan has won. If team Pakistan is taken to be a single unit.
Pakistan have won. If Pakistan team is taken to be composed of separate players.

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/singular_plural_ collective_noun.htm

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
See, when you take the government as a whole, you sh[STRIKE]all[/STRIKE]ould use "its" with it. However, if you were to take the government as composed of separate elements then you [STRIKE]shall[/STRIKE] have to use "theirs" with it.

Cases in point:

" The [STRIKE]H[/STRIKE]herd is gra[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]zing", [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE]if we were to take "herd" as a whole.
"The [STRIKE]H[/STRIKE]herd are gra[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]zing,. If we were to take "herd" as composed of separate sheep.

"Pakistan has won", [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE]if [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] the Pakistan team is taken to be a single unit.
"Pakistan have won", if the Pakistan team is taken to be composed of separate players.

Are collective nouns singular or plural?
Isn't it rather simpler to say, " In BrE, collective nouns can be regarded as singular or plural"?

Huda-M

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I don't understand why there are so many differences and variations in opinions of English learned people. Some people say something and the other people say something else.
The government is/are expected to announce its/their tax proposals today.

Well Inocent the reason for this I give is there are no such proper rules in English right! And then, it also depends on the 'type'(i would say) of English one is speaking or using. A native speaker may say something else, a teacher something else and people from different regions may have their own ways :)
ps Im sis, not brother.....

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Hundreds of millions of people in various parts of the world speak it- in different areas, things may be different. You can't expect 100% agreement among so many speech communities. There is a lot of agreement- if there weren't we'd be speaking different languages, but there will always be areas of difference. Language is flexible and has to change, so rules are always temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.