Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I am a few days away from being 20 years old and have been learning English since I was 8, and most of my English was self-taught (I picked up the language very fast from the games, the internet, movies and whichever other stimulus). I consider myself as having native-level skills (if not higher), as well as barely having any Brazilian accent. But enough bragging, on to the question! :)

I was discussing with my parents how multiple adjectives can be confusing. For instance, in "burnt coconut pie", is it the coconut pie that's burnt, or is a well-cooked pie made from burnt coconut? How would one go about eliminating this ambiguity? Linking words together perhaps (burnt-coconut pie)?

Another example would be the Owl City song "Shy Violet". The chorus is:

Light up the sky,
Shy violet angel eyes

How does one know if the eyes are violet, or the angel is violet, or the eyes are shy, or the violet is shy?
Normally I would read the second line in reverse, beginning with the noun and backtracking. So I would first read "angel eyes", then violet to characterize the color of "angel eyes", then shy to characterize the mood of "angel eyes". However, since the song's title is "Shy violet", I'm not exactly sure.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi, Nantes, and welcome aboard.

In writing, you link words by means of hyphens, as you said. In speech, I believe it's intonation that makes the meaning clear. In songs, well, you've got to use your own interpretation, I suppose. ;-)

-not a teacher-

Nantes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
More opinions please?

5jj