Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
When I was in Thailand a Thai friend quite often asked me "Do you need some drink?" or "Do you need some food?". I explained to him that it is not a question of need. Instead he should ask "Do you want something to drink?" or "Would you like something to eat?" as this was better English.

As it happened, a few weeks later an American lady offered to make some tea and she asked me "Do you need a cup of tea?" This was the first time ever that I heard a native speaker using this expression to offer a drink or food. Is this some kind of Americanism? I mean, I could understand if somebody asked "Do you need an ambulance?" or "Do you need a doctor?" assuming I was somewhat injured, but why would one use "Do you need..." when offering food or drink?

Phew, I think I need a cup of tea now.

TomUK

Informally, I might ask, "Do you need a refill?"

I have also heard it used when offering a refill. I can't imagine asking if a guest needed a cup of tea, unless it were offered as some type of curative. If they were upset about something, one might ask if they needed a drink.

Yes, it's strange. (I thought American ladies drank coffee). Like the others, I wouldn't use "need" that way.

Yes, it's strange. (I thought American ladies drank coffee). Like the others, I wouldn't use "need" that way.

I normally wouldn't use "need" but see nothing wrong with it. We have cultural traditions that prescribe a conditional of "want" but in fact, we do need both food and drink, don't we?

I normally wouldn't use "need" but see nothing wrong with it. We have cultural traditions that prescribe a conditional of "want" but in fact, we do need both food and drink, don't we?
To be honest, I've never needed a cup of tea in my life. If I were visiting an American (or Canadian) lady, and she asked me whether I needed a cup of tea, I would probably have to think about what she meant. So, it's useful to know that it means "Would you like a cup of tea?" and that there was nothing about me that made her think I needed tea.

In other words, in my culture, if we are offering a drink to someone, we don't normally ask whether a person needs it. To me, it sounds like the lady will go to the trouble of making the tea if I actually need it, but might be reluctant if I merely would like it.

(I thought American ladies drank coffee).

Usually they do, unless they're trying to act all cultured and stuff. ;-) Or if they're having one of those "celebrate the special moments of our life" experiences with their lady friends. (Not that I'm one to stereotype tea-drinkers or anything.)

And no, "do you need..." is not a common way to offer a beverage, unless it's a shot of brandy to a panicky person. My late mother-in-law often used an unusual sentence construction when offering food or drink - she'd ask, for example, "Would it suit you to have biscuits for breakfast?" Her phraseology originally struck me as strange and awkward, but after spending more time in the American South I found that this is a common expression 'round those parts when asking someone if they'd like a particular food or drink item. :)

when i associate the word 'need' with non-imperative items/subjects, it's usually in the past tense when the person offered can make a more subjective diagnosis on its necessity

"i needed that cup of tea"

You're all definitely right that it is unusual. I was suggesting it's not wrong, just less polite, and more over-stated, to use "need."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back