Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
New Zealand
Hi

The following paragraph is from a column in the New York Times.
Would anyone be able to explain what the underlined part means?

The president has been so spectacularly unable to fill the leadership void in Washington that the high-spirited Michele Bachmann feels free to purloin Obama’s old mantra.

“The power behind our campaign is hope and a future,” she chirped to a sparse crowd Monday in Atlantic, Iowa. “That’s all I believe in.” That and making America safe for old-fashioned light bulbs and not those weird curly ones.

Regards
chchkevin

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the name of saving the planet (from "climate change"), the United States government has effectively outlawed the production and sale of standard, incandescent light bulbs. (These bans begin next year with the 100 W bulb.)

Political conservatives in the US are using this light bulb ban as a rallying call to those fed up with the government attempting to dictate the minute details of our lives and intruding upon the economic decisions of the American people in places where it has no Constitutional role.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She, in particular, has made some rather whacky claims about the dangers of these bulbs.

Anyway, no more on this candidate or I won't be able to stop.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wacky like the EPA?

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

Before cleanup
Have people and pets leave the room.
Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
stiff paper or cardboard;
sticky tape;
damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During cleanup
Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After cleanup
Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Wacky like the EPA?
Thanks for that :-D.

I was in the USA recently and was amused to read, on a packet of salted nuts that I had bought, "HEALTH WARNING: This product may contain nuts."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I saw a bottle of purified water in a pet store (meant for hydrating hermit crabs). As per regulations, it listed its contents:

Moisture content - 100%

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow, I broke an energy saver lightbulb just the other day. Shockingly, I stuck with:

1) Getting a dustpan and brush
2) Sweeping the bits into it
3) Putting the bits in the bin
4) Hoovering the floor

I can't believe how many steps I missed out. I'm thinking maybe I should contact my local environmental health department and warn all my neighbours. We might have to go into lockdown. Who needs the fear of nuclear devastation when we have lightbulbs?!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you know every one of those inane warnings is a result of some lawsuit somewhere. I saw a paraody once of a warning label for a small step stool. Do not throw from bridges into traffic passing underneath. Do not grind into sawdust and inhale. Do not ... etc.

Anyway, we're moving rather far afield from the question. If it's answered, let's close the thread.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dave answered it well in post #2.

Status