Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Altogether, I had never seen a worse neighborhood…and I was in two minds to go back. (R. L. Stevenson, “The Master of Ballantrae”)

It is 4 years since I gave up fiction; and I am in two minds whether I will ever return to it. (B Shaw, “Collected Letters”)

Elizabeth was in two minds whether to invite her to this party or not. (N. Coward, “Pacific 1860”)

be in two minds = be of two minds = hesitate, vacillate, I have no ideas what to do

V.

Last edited:

Mylanguageclick

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Spain
If you are in two minds about something, you can't decide what to do.
Regards.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Altogether, I had never seen a worse neighborhood….and I was in two minds to go back. (R. L. Stevenson, “The Master of Ballantrae”)

It is 4 years since I gave up fiction; and I am in two minds weather I will ever return to it. (B Shaw, “Collected Letters”)

Elizabeth was in two minds weather to invite her to this party or not. (N. Coward, “Pacific 1860”)

be in two minds = be of two minds = hesitate, vacillate, I have no ides what to do

V.

You might want to check the spelling of the words in red.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi emsr2d,

Thank you for your corrections.