[General] You are of the few who will be equal to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the parenthetical by me word “one” is redundant in the edited version of the original sentence below?

You are of the few who will be equal to it.

You are one of the few who will be equal to it.

V.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: revision of one sentence

The original sentence, equating to 'You are among the few. . .' , has a literary or poetic feel about it. Many readers would think there was a word missing.

Including one puts the sentence into plain English, which anybody would understand.

Please note that a better title would have been You are of the few who will be equal to it.

The reason for this is that at a later date we might want to return to this thread to comment further. The title which includes the sentence you are asking about would help us to find it more easily.

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Rover KE,

Please accept my most affectionate thanks and gratitude for your constant assistance and sincere interest in my every need concerning mastering of English language.

Thank you also for your directions concerning the proper design of the threads. I corrected the title of the present thread in conformity with your well-judged direction.

In the case of the usage of the word “one” in my revision of the original sentence from an English Study-book I would tell you that I took as a model the “plain English” of Ray Bradbury.

“When I said something about the moon, you looked at the moon, last night. The others would never do that. The others would walk off and leave me talking. Or threaten me. No one has time any more for anyone else. You're one of the few who put up with me. That's why I think it's so strange you're a fireman, it just doesn't seem right for you, somehow.”

Thank you again for your kindness.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.