Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
United States
"He is more of a student than a teacher."
"He is more a student than a teacher."

If I want to talk about a [STRIKE]student [/STRIKE]teacher that acts like a [STRIKE]teacher[/STRIKE] student, which sentence is standard English?

Last edited:

jimcool

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
United States
Sorry for the error. Here is the correct version:
-----------------------------------------------------

If I want to talk about a teacher that acts like a student, which sentence is standard English?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for the error. Here is the correct version:
-----------------------------------------------------

If I want to talk about a teacher that acts like a student, which sentence is standard English?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I really liked your question, for it really made me think and do research.

(2) This is only my opinion, based on what I have read in Professor George O. Curme's

great book A Grammar of the English Language.

(3) IF I understood him, you can express that idea in two ways:

(a) He is more student than teacher.

(i) "more student" is like an adjective. It refers to "He." It's an adjective, just

like "He is taller than the teacher." ("-er" really = more. Of course, you cannot say "He is studenter than teacher.")

(b) He is more of a student than a teacher.

(i) The great professor says that in this construction (kind of sentence), we analyze

"more" as a pronoun. That is why we need to use "of a."

(4) Here are some of his examples when we use "more" to make an adjective out of a

noun:

She is more mother than wife.
She was more woman than they. (You can't say "womaner")

(5) Here are some of his examples when we use "more" as a pronoun:

Charles was more of a gentleman than a king.
Smith is more of a teacher than his brother.

(6) It is only my opinion that most native speakers would use the pronoun sentence:

Tom: Do you like our teacher?

Mona: Not really.

Tom: Why?

Mona: Because he seems to be more of a student than a teacher.

Tom: What do you mean?

Mona: Well, for one thing, he wants to be cool, so he wears blue jeans. I want my teachers to dress like teachers.

Tom: And what else?

Mona: He tries so hard to be friends. I don't want my teachers to be my friends. I just want them to teach me something that I don't know.

Tom: That's right!

Mona: Above all, he doesn't know his subject well. I think that he reads the book five

pages ahead of us every night.

EDIT: I think that many speakers drop the "of," so they might simply say: He is more (of) a student than a teacher. Since you are an excellent learner, I suggest that you include the word "of."

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Jimcool's initial clarification of the meaning he sought was: " If I want to talk about a teacher that acts like a student, which sentence is standard English"?

All of the above responses are great (although I do think Mona sounds a bit malicious) but I think it's important to state that if you wish to say that the teacher acts more like a student then that's exactly what you should say. He acts more like a student than a teacher.

In US graduate schools, professors often have teaching assistants (TA) who teach (supposedly) less than they study. Lets say Jim is a TA. Jim is more of a student than a teacher. Jim is more a student than a teacher. Both sentences work to describe Jim.

Finally, to TheParser whose posts I enjoy immensely, George O. Curme's book was published in 1931, and I don't think it was ever revised. His work is classic rather than modernistic. While still totally accurate, George - like myself - should have a 25,000 mile check-up, if just to freshen the carpeting.
George Oliver Curme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Finally, to TheParser whose posts I enjoy immensely, George O. Curme's book was published in 1931, and I don't think it was ever revised. His work is classic rather than modernistic.
Oh, Parser. I have been joined. You'll have to be very careful in what you pick from the venerable Curme now.;-)
While still totally accurate (for the English of his day - 5) George - like myself - should have a 25,000 mile check-up, if just to freshen the carpeting.
:up:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As the young people say (I think):